Thread: Did Anyone Choose a Yamaha Receiver w/ These Speakers?

Default Did Anyone Choose a Yamaha Receiver w/ These Speakers?

Hello,

Newbie here, looking for info.

I have heard a lot of things from people that dont like Yamaha, for one reason or another (reasons which I cant really grasp yet!).

I like Yamaha stuff, and have had some very excellent experiences with it.

That said, Im tied up between getting a Yamaha stereo receiver and an NAD C720BEE or a Panasonic XR-55/57 to go with ascend 340SE and an HSU sub (likely the STF-2), for mainly 2-channel music, and to also be used in 2.1 for movies.

So, did anyone choose a modern yamaha receiver to pair with their ascend speakers? I like brightness, so long as the high end isnt too sharp, one of my reasons for liking the Yamaha sound in the music I listen to (and music is >85% of my use).. of course in sound it is to each their own... but since these speakers are internet only, and (even though they have a 30 day return policy) Ill be cramped for time if I want to audition a lot of options for receivers and CD players... so I want to try to get a good first idea of what to get so that Im 90% there before I start.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

JMH

I don't have my ascends yet (shippin soon) but I have a yamaha receiver (rxv 2400). Most people's problem with yamaha, to my knowlege, is their lower end stuff . They range from being overly bright to thin and under powered. Their mid-fi stuff are a whole different class. They are more neutral and have pretty good power. They can handle most applications unless you use demanding speakers (most recievers under 1k would have problems). Like ascends, yamaha offer most bang for the buck in terms of feature in my opinion. however, some of the other companys are getting close though (denon, onkyo, etc...). anyway, if you can wait a week or two, I'll post my findings pairing yamaha and ascends. I can't find a reason not to go with a surround receiver these days. You don't have to use all the channels but at least you'll have it when you're ready.

I use a Yamaha HTR-5790 with my Ascends and have never found it "bright". I think a lot of things simply get repeated and treated as gospel after they make the rounds a few times on the forums.
    - EVH III

I was using a Yamaha htr-5660 when I purchased my Ascends and thought it sounded very good. The quality and clarity was excellent compared to the JBL's I upgraded from. However....... I did find Yamaha a little bright, not too bright though.

I decided to upgrade to the HK 635 and found it much more pleasing to the ear. So personal opinion is that the HK is definitely less bright than the Yamaha I was using. HK 635 is an excellent match for the ascends.

Good Luck!

Default Yamaha Sound and 340SE's

I was using the Yamaha RX V1400 when I first puchased my Ascend 340SE's in May. I found it to be too bright for my tastes. In fact, I wrote a post expressing concern that perhaps the Ascends were too bright as compared to my ADS M-12 towers in doing A-B comparisons. I purchased a Boston Acoustics A-7200 amp on clearnace and now use the Yamaha as a pre amp (I love the pre amp section). It was quite a difference: deeper soundstange, tighter bass, and a bit warmer.

But the biggest revelation for me in auditioning the Ascends did not take place for several weeks. I used the Ascends exclusivley and then switched back to the ADS towers, and low and behold, the towers seem dull and lacking in detail. I don't think the speakers changed during that period, so it must have been me! The ADS's had become my reference, and at least for me, the A-B comparison was not the best way to appreciate the merrits of the Ascends. I've often heard it said that it's best to use live music as your reference, and I do take in a lot of live music, but after 16 years of listening to the same speaker and using it in A-B comparisons, it powerfully shapes your perception of sound. The accuracy and detail in the Ascends was immediately apparent - a revelation on some recordings! But the brightness I was hearing was more a function of my perception than than the reality of the speakers. I needed to shift my frame of reference to better appreciate its virtues. Quite a learning experience for me.

I also auditioned the following at Audio shops: Polk LSI-15's, Martin Logan Towers, Revel F-12 Towers, and Paradigm Studio and Signature speakers in various sizes. Only the Signatures and the Revel's impressed me, but were at 2 to 4 times the cost of the Ascends! The 340SE's are an outstanding speaker, but shine the most when paired with a sub - then look out! You'd be very hard pressed to find anything sounding so good at this price point. So, in the end, I am one happy customer, who learned some important lessons about auditioning speakers and the perception of sound. It made me question the value of direct A-B comparisons. Of course, it's important, but you also need to be clear about your ultimate frame of reference, the music in your mind.

Sorry for digressing, I probably should have put this in the review section, but back to the question of the Yamaha. For what it's worth, I still find it to be bright with both my Ascends and my old ADS's. The Boston Acoustics amp was a great upgrade. I e-mailed Dave F. about the effect of amps on the Ascend sound. He assured me that it could be significant and he was correct. So whatever reciever/amp you choose, do it carefully. It makes quite a difference with sensitive speakers like the Ascends.

Also, special thanks to Eddie for the Marantz 4300 CD play recommendation. That was also a great upgrade. I've now got a system for music and movies that's really outstanding without having to break the bank.

One last thing, the responsiveness of Dave F. to questions both before and after the purchase has been outstanding! There's no BS or sales crap, just the information you need from someone who truely knows what he's talking about (lots of pretenders in the Hi-Fi world). Thanks Dave, I hope the business thrives!

i've got a Yamaha RX-V2400, and i think it sounds fantastic. i chose it over a similarly spec-ed Denon receiver because of price (couple hundred cheaper) and because i was more familiar with the brand name when i bought it. when i initially had the 170 classics hooked up, it did sound bright, i will admit. i had to turn the bass up on my receiver to get it closer to the sound i wanted, but when i upgraded to the SE models, that all changed. the bass level on my receiver was returned to its original setting, and everything sounds great.

i use the speakers mainly for music (probably 95% of the time is listening to music) and have never had any complaints about the sound. that said, i don't like a whole lot of bass in my music, i just like the lower end to be full enough to give the sound slightly more punch. when using it for HT, there is a significant increase in the amount of low end sound it outputs, which i assume is because of the sound programming in the movies is heavier on the low end.

all in all, i'm very happy with my yamaha receiver, and i would recommend it to others.
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5