Thread: Sherwood Newcastle P-965. For Curtis.

Default Sherwood Newcastle P-965. For Curtis.

Curtis, since you have this preamp, would you please explain the preset 1 and preset 2? The manual is not clear as to what would be the default settings it will use when I turn on the preamp. For example, I use Auto Speaker Setup using the microphone and store the settings in preset 1. Then I manually use the SPL to adjust all channels and store the settings in preset 2. Now, everytime I turn on the preamp, which setting will it use? the one in preset 1, or the one in preset 2? If I call preset 2, will it remember my selection the next time I turn it on (meaning preset 2 will be used)?

Thanks in advance.

It uses the preset you used or adjusted last.

On my setup, I set preset 1 to have all channels equal by my SPL meter. Then I set preset 2 to have a few dB more in the sub channel for that added oomph for movies. I set up a macro on my Home Theater Master HTM-700 remote to switch between the two of them easily.

BTW, the auto setup does a pretty decent job on the speaker channels, but the sub is not set correctly. I used AVIA and set everything manually.

Also...you could have just sent me a PM or email.
    -curtis

Thanks for your quick reply. I now have problem with the remote controll of the BA AVP7. I can't turn on the AVP7 using the remote. I looked at the setup code table and the BA AVP 7 can't be found. Do you happen to know the pre-programed setup code for the BA AVP7?

I thought I read somewhere the remote that comes with the AVP7 is different than the one that comes with the P-965.

Anyways....if it is the same, it is a rebadged Home Theater Master HTM-500. I believe the pre-programmed code is 0000.
    -curtis

I called onecall and their customer support said that I didn't have to program it. It didn't work in the first place and that's why I tried to reprogram it. Anyway, it suddenly worked while I was talking with onecall. I think it did because I erased all the learning code (a reset effectively). Could that be someone entered the wrong code in the remote?

Anyway, I'm done for today. I've got the remote working with my HK DVD player and this AVP7. I'll try the auto setup tomorrow.

The AVP7 thinks my Ascends are large. Nothing was sent to the Sub. I notice that the bass was extremely tight and punchy-something that I have never heard before; then I saw a red light on my sub. That movement, I realized that I have put too much strain on the CBM and the CMT front. I switched to OSD and there we go, all my speakers are set to "Large". So, the conclusion is Auto Setup does more harm than good.

I have also fed the AVP7 analog signal from a mixer. With the HK630, I didn't hear much noise. But with this pre-amp, all sorts of hum, buzz, and noise show up in all of the surround/dsp processing modes. It's un-listenable. I then tried "Pure Audio", the sound quality is now as good as the sound quality from my optical input. Do you why? is that because there is flaw in the pre-amp analog surround processing modes? Does your P-965 have this problem?

One last thing, I can't seem to be able to program the M1 macro on the remote to call for Preset 1. On my pre-amp, in order to call for Preset 1, I need to enter OSD, press the down arrow button 3 times, then press select, then press select again. I followed the instruction step by step and the remote even acknowledged that the macro was saved. However, when I pressed the M1 button, no signal was sent out (the signal icon on the top right corner is not blinking). Is ther another way to call for Preset 1?

My P-965 is dead quiet.

I did have a problem once when using the 5.1 analog inputs and listening to DVD-A/SACD. Some hum, but I re-arranged the cables and it went away.

I don't use the remote that came with the P-965. I use the Home Theater Master's MX700. For changing channel level presets, there is no direct way to do it.
    -curtis