Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: DVD / CD Player Recommendations ??

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    Do you mean an HK DVD/CD player with optical out?
    Yes I do. Both my HK DVD player and Panasonic DVD player connect to my HK 630 via optical cable. So raw data should be moved from the players to the HK receiver and the processing is done there. However, the sound is different.

Quote Originally Posted by hhcan
    Yes I do. Both my HK DVD player and Panasonic DVD player connect to my HK 630 via optical cable. So raw data should be moved from the players to the HK receiver and the processing is done there. However, the sound is different.
    That doesn't make sense to me since both players should be sending the same bits via optical to the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    That doesn't make sense to me since both players should be sending the same bits via optical to the receiver.
    They have different transport. The one in Panasonic is not as good. Poor transport introduces jitters, noises, errors into the signal that is to be passed to the receiver/preamp for processing.

Quote Originally Posted by hhcan
    They have different transport. The one in Panasonic is not as good. Poor transport introduces jitters, noises, errors into the signal that is to be passed to the receiver/preamp for processing.
    Could you be more specific. This is just a generality that could apply to any transport. How much jitter does the Panasonic introduce and how does that amount of jitter translate to what we are hearing? Also, how much variability is there within a given model? How can we determine the jitter introduced by a given player if variability exists?

Thanks,
    David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Could you be more specific. This is just a generality that could apply to any transport. How much jitter does the Panasonic introduce and how does that amount of jitter translate to what we are hearing? Also, how much variability is there within a given model? How can we determine the jitter introduced by a given player if variability exists?

Thanks,
    David
    I was wondering the same thing. I don't know the detail answer as to how much variablity is there within a given model. I first assumed that they should have sounded the same since I used optical connection. But they didn't. I went to htguide and ecoustics forum and someone explained that transport was one of the reason as to why one player sounds different from the other eventhough they don't process the signal themself.