Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVD / CD Player Recommendations ??

Quote Originally Posted by hhcan
    I have the H/K 31 which is the predecessor of H/K 47. It produces a vibrant color slightly better than the Zenith DVB 318 upconvert player. Sound quality is much better than my Panasonic and also slightly better than the Zenith. If you don't have DVI connection on your display, then the H/K 47 is a good one (the H/K 31 is also better than the Denon 1910 which I bought then returned). If you do have DVI connection, then the OPPO is the way to go. My H/K has some minor but irritating problems such as unable to eject DVD-A disc when you hit the power button but forgot to stop playback, automotically ejecting your copied disc when you hit play (ironically, it plays that same disc some days earlier). One last thing about the H/K player: you can hear the disc spinning when you sit next to it. It noticeably spins louder than my other players.
    Are you rating movie audio quality or CD audio quality?

Your ranking is HK>Zenith>Panasonic? Where does the Oppo (I assume 971H) fit in?

More Oppo confusion.......So it seems part of MY confusion is that Oppo just today introduces the OP DV 970HD (HDMI), which is not a replacement to the 971H (DVI), because they have different chips of some sort. Actually from what I read the new model sounds great for DVD video quality, but I can't seem to find any mention of the audio output quality of the unit, either DVD or CD.

Still searching.........

Quote Originally Posted by cyberbri
    I'm also sort of in the market for a new device for CDs. I use my HTPC for DVD upconversion, and have a standard STB DVD player that's modded for <a href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=11&k=region%20free" onmouseover="window.status='region free'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">region free</a> and for showing the kids The Wiggles, etc.

I have an HK AVR330, and just last week got 3x 340SE, 2x 170SE, 1x HSU VTF-3 Mk2. Music sounds great, both through the DVD player letting the receiver decode, and through my Toshiba 5-disc DVD changer over analog cables.

I'm just hoping to get better music/CD performance, and hopefully something compatible with SACD. Hopefully in the $100-250 range, but I can go slightly higher if the performance gain is worth it.
    I have an Onix XCD-88 and is worthy of your consideration. I think you can pick one up B-stock around $250. It is not SACD compatible tho. It does decode HDCD. It is a rebadged MusicHall unit.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Are you rating movie audio quality or CD audio quality??
    I was rating both movie and CD audio quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73

Your ranking is HK>Zenith>Panasonic? Where does the Oppo (I assume 971H) fit in?
    Yes, that is my ranking. I only compared those 3 units. I don't have the OPPO so I can't tell if it's better than HK. According to all the reviews on OPPO (the old model), it only works well (video wide)if the connection is DVI. I haven't read any review neither listened to the new OPPO with HDMI.

For movies, all the players do is send the DD/DTS bitstream to the reciever, where it's decoded. I didn't think the player itself had anything to do with audio "quality"...

Yes, that is my ranking. I only compared those 3 units. I don't have the OPPO so I can't tell if it's better than HK. According to all the reviews on OPPO (the old model), it only works well (video wide)if the connection is DVI. I haven't read any review neither listened to the new OPPO with HDMI.
    I have the older OPPO (dvi out).

Here are the key differences from what I understand:

- older OPPO (971) has better video quality. It comes with a DVI cable & DVI->HDMI cable (doesnt pass sound), does video upsampling. Able to play DVD-AUDIO.

- new OPPO (970) 'sister': uses a cheaper all in one video processing chip, good performance but not as good as the 971. HDMI out, can upsample via components (though not with most dvd's due to copyright), good choice for a budget dvd transport (hdmi output to external scaler). Has same sound hardware (cirrus logic dac? 24/96 capable) as older OPPO but 1) has the ability to turn all video processing off in the unit (audio only mode) 2) able to play SA-CD's in addition to DVD-AUDIO.

(uncertain): I think there may be 1 more model where you get the newer features of the 970 OPPO but with the better video processing chips later this year. Need to find the link where I read this to confirm.

I think that either these players are great value and will work well in your setup. They are not HD players (you'll need to decide whether you want to get HD-DVD or a blu-ray player at this time). Either player will look fine on your tv. I use my OPPO as a cd transport (digital out, use the dacs in the HK635) occasionally.. tho you might lose the first second or so when you hit play (when the digital stream gets synced). The oppo dac's are used when I play dvd-audio

I am tempted to get a standalone audio player at some point (CD, HDCD, dvd-audio, SA-CD) though I dont know if the new oppo fits the bill yet.

For movies, all the players do is send the DD/DTS bitstream to the reciever, where it's decoded. I didn't think the player itself had anything to do with audio "quality"...
    With SACD/DVD-A, the player must decode the signal internally to PCM, and outputs this via the 5.1 jacks to the direct inputs of the pre-pro/receiver. So, the player's ability to decode these formats becomes a factor in the sound quality.

There is no digital output for these formats, at least to my knowledge, with the possible exception of some Denon-link-thingy(?). (Sorry for "techy" description )
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Theoritically, you are right. But you would be supprised to hear the different on the HK and Panasonic both with opticals out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    With SACD/DVD-A, the player must decode the signal internally to PCM, and outputs this via the 5.1 jacks to the direct inputs of the pre-pro/receiver. So, the player's ability to decode these formats becomes a factor in the sound quality.

There is no digital output for these formats, at least to my knowledge, with the possible exception of some Denon-link-thingy(?). (Sorry for "techy" description )
    i-Link will transfer SACD and DVD-A DSD.
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Theoritically, you are right. But you would be supprised to hear the different on the HK and Panasonic both with opticals out.
    It's my receiver that is HK. I'm talking about using digital and letting my HK AVR330 decode, or using internal DACs in a player and using analog interconnects.

Do you mean an HK DVD/CD player with optical out?