Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DVD / CD Player Recommendations ??

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    Without experimenting, it's a matter of curiosity and disposable income.
    This is so true. I'm done with disc players until the new formats are settled to my satisfaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    Do you know whether the Pioneer 563 sounds better than the Samsung HD841 for CD, SACD, and DVD-Audio?
    Nope...don't know.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    This is so true. I'm done with disc players until the new formats are settled to my satisfaction.

Nope...don't know.
    Does this mean the new formats cannot be released until they have your approval signature?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Default my 2c

i bought the Denon 1920 about 4mo ago when I was in a similar spot. It produces a nice image (via component, i've never tried the HDMI) and produces beautiful music, including both SACD and DVD-A. It retails for about $300 and I think it makes a great option for you - both as a short-term bridge until the new video formats get worked out and as a long-term music disc player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    Does this mean the new formats cannot be released until they have your approval signature?
    I wish that was the case!
    -curtis

Default Good info!

Hi guys, thanks for the info, it has sent me on an internet fact finding tour, so I don't know where I'll wind up, but all of the suggestions work within the budget. I will probably go a low end route... the Denon 1920 or the H/K DVD 47, and maybe next year step up to a better audio unit.

Anyone have the H/K 47, it was just introduced in January?

Any other suggestions, let me know!

Wayne

Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

The Denon and Oppo both seem like good upconverting HDMI universals, but don't know which would sound better for 2ch music. I don't know if it matters for DLP sets and you may or may not notice a difference, but I don't think the HK 47 upconverts SD DVDs to 720p or 1080i.

I'm also sort of in the market for a new device for CDs. I use my HTPC for DVD upconversion, and have a standard STB DVD player that's modded for region free and for showing the kids The Wiggles, etc.

I have an HK AVR330, and just last week got 3x 340SE, 2x 170SE, 1x HSU VTF-3 Mk2. Music sounds great, both through the DVD player letting the receiver decode, and through my Toshiba 5-disc DVD changer over analog cables.

I'm just hoping to get better music/CD performance, and hopefully something compatible with SACD. Hopefully in the $100-250 range, but I can go slightly higher if the performance gain is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by wjj
    Hi guys, thanks for the info, it has sent me on an internet fact finding tour, so I don't know where I'll wind up, but all of the suggestions work within the budget. I will probably go a low end route... the Denon 1920 or the H/K DVD 47, and maybe next year step up to a better audio unit.
    Wayne
    I have the H/K 31 which is the predecessor of H/K 47. It produces a vibrant color slightly better than the Zenith DVB 318 upconvert player. Sound quality is much better than my Panasonic and also slightly better than the Zenith. If you don't have DVI connection on your display, then the H/K 47 is a good one (the H/K 31 is also better than the Denon 1910 which I bought then returned). If you do have DVI connection, then the OPPO is the way to go. My H/K has some minor but irritating problems such as unable to eject DVD-A disc when you hit the power button but forgot to stop playback, automotically ejecting your copied disc when you hit play (ironically, it plays that same disc some days earlier). One last thing about the H/K player: you can hear the disc spinning when you sit next to it. It noticeably spins louder than my other players.

Quote Originally Posted by hhcan
    If you don't have DVI connection on your display, then the H/K 47 is a good one (the H/K 31 is also better than the Denon 1910 which I bought then returned). If you do have DVI connection, then the OPPO is the way to go.

I don't follow.... I am not sure what the DVI connection is, but from the specs I read both the Oppo and the H/K 47 have HDMI out, and my TV has HDMI in. The Oppo does not list a DVI connection as an out, was that on an older model?? Or am I ignorant of the facts about DVI?

EDIT....OK, after further research, the Oppo DV970HD has HDMI, the DV971 is DVI, and seems to be the "latest" model.......real confusing.
    Last edited by wjj; 05-31-2006 at 01:33 PM. Reason: new info