Thread: External Amps: XLR vs RCA

Default External Amps: Newbie questions

1) I tried searching here and AVS to no avail. Is XLR just another way to connect dedicated pre-pros to an amp? Same as "balanced"? Better than RCA? I've read there's XLR to RCA connectors, but is it worth the hassle?

2) I have a Pio 74 7.1 140wpc receiver. I don't necessarily need more power, but I keep reading about the benefits of external amps. I was thinking of 3 monoblocks or a 3-ch amp for LCR and running the surrounds off the receiver. Would the surrounds necessarily have more "juice" now that the LCR load is taken off the receiver? Is this a logical way to purchasing an amp?

3) Aside from Outlaw, any other "budget" amps to consider?
    Last edited by BGHD; 05-28-2006 at 02:01 PM.

Here is something to help you with question #1.
    http://www.videomaker.com/scripts/ar...nt.cfm?id=9236

Balanced cables (XLR) really have the advantage in longer runs.

For the amp question, I suggest if you can, find someone that will loan you an amp to try. Then you will know if it is worthwhile over using the internal amps of your Pioneer.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    1) I tried searching here and AVS to no avail. Is XLR just another way to connect dedicated pre-pros to an amp? Same as "balanced"? Better than RCA? I've read there's XLR to RCA connectors, but is it worth the hassle?

2) I have a Pio 74 7.1 140wpc receiver. I don't necessarily need more power, but I keep reading about the benefits of external amps. I was thinking of 3 monoblocks or a 3-ch amp for LCR and running the surrounds off the receiver. Would the surrounds necessarily have more "juice" now that the LCR load is taken off the receiver? Is this a logical way to purchasing an amp?

3) Aside from Outlaw, any other "budget" amps to consider?
    1)The term "XLR" is used to designate a 3 pin balanced connector that is most commonly used to connect microphones to mixing consoles. Rather than just "another way" to connect pre pros to amps, it is a different way, not neccesarily better or worse. Yes, an XLR is a balanced connector, but it can be used as balanced or unbalanced. Oh yes, the XLR connector is much better than an RCA connector. There are XLR to RCA cables, adapters, etc and you will usually only have to use them when the only connector available on one end is an XLR, then you must terminate in XLR.

2) The surrounds could possibly benefit from the fact that the power supply is now not feeding 5 or 7 amplifiers that all want power and they will have more reserve just driving 2 or 4 surrounds. Will there be an audible difference? That is for you to judge. Once again, as Curtis said, try to borrow an amp and listen.

3) Look into so called "pro" amps such as Behringer EP2500 or EP1500 or QSC or Crown amplifiers. You can get a lot of bang for the buck with these amps.
    www.cwitt.com

Yeah, I've been meaning to try out a friends amp, but now realize he has XLR connects only. May have to buy/try. Thanks for the replies.

Curtis,
    I know you mentioned you have Nuforce amps. I've read a bit about them in AVS and the folks seem to rave about them. What makes 'em any different/better than other amps? Are they class D digital? About how much do they cost?

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Curtis,
    I know you mentioned you have Nuforce amps. I've read a bit about them in AVS and the folks seem to rave about them. What makes 'em any different/better than other amps? Are they class D digital? About how much do they cost?
    They are analog switching amps, I do believe they are classified as class D.

What makes them better? I can't tell you if they even are better. I like them a lot, and my speakers sound great....but we all think the sound great with the amplification we use.

If you are in the area...you are welcome to come listen to them.

The cost? Well...long story short, they are about $800 a piece, but I didn't pay that. The model I have is discontinued.
    -curtis