Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music servers

Default Re: Music servers

I love the Squeezebox. I rip everything in 256kbps MP3 is compatible with everything else is fine and serves the purposes of my music. Serious critical listening, I use the disc player.

Some questions I am trying to find answers to

1. I see that most of you rip your cd's to FLAC but still compress the file by 50%. Does this not degrade the SQ any at all? If you are ripping your cd's via EAC, then is it still compressed 50% or is it ripped to the exact same native bit rate?

2. What is the point of a usb dac?

3. What is the cheapest streaming devise that is capable of at least 24/96 or higher?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg35 View Post
    1. I see that most of you rip your cd's to FLAC but still compress the file by 50%. Does this not degrade the SQ any at all? If you are ripping your cd's via EAC, then is it still compressed 50% or is it ripped to the exact same native bit rate?
    No, it does not degrade the sound quality. The resulting playback is still bit for bit the same as the original. The compression is like zipping a document. It compresses what it can without losses.

The interface to the FLAC compression engine allows you to change the amount of compression. The default is 50%. You can turn it up or down. Turning up the compression just requires the CPU to do more work during compression, and de-compression.

The same reason for any other DAC, just that the input is via USB, which all computers have nowadays.

3. What is the cheapest streaming devise that is capable of at least 24/96 or higher?
    That one I do not know.
    -curtis

Hi Bigg,

As curtis mentioned, FLAC can be described like a ZIP file. You get lossless quality during playback, yet the file will require less storage space than uncompressed PCM (e.g. WAV). In addition, FLAC offers improved tagging capabilities over some other lossless formats (e.g. WAV).

Go with FLAC unless you really don't care about tagging and have lots of hard drive space to burn.

Most computers (especially laptops) are not optimized for high-quality audio playback. An external USB DAC allows digital-to-analog conversion away from electrical noise and interference. In addition, most external DACs have better quality audio components than an average computer.

Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations either. Most wireless streaming devices only support up to 24/96 and will down-sample content higher than that. Bandwidth becomes an issue at those resolutions and the average home wireless network (especially 802.11g) probably wouldn't give a satisfactory experience.
    -Jacob

for music streaming i went with two options:

one option i did is that i converted an old desktop into a music server using vlc (there are free vlc remote controller apps for phones) and have a decent sound card plug in to my stereo. vlc is free software and is available for all the major operating systems. there is also options for windows media player and winamp software to become media servers, i believe itunes has options too. all 3 are capable of also playing movie files and performing chapter advanced functions. I'm pretty happy with it but the computer I chose does not do video (it's old) so i may upgrade it to a better system. on my phone is the vlc remote app (the others i mentioned have remote apps too) and i can bring up my songs and play them off the server to my stereo. my pc is quiet and small so i put it near my stereo, my next pc will be a solid state system with minimal to no fans.

the other option is that i have a bluetooth wireless gateway plugged in to my stereo, i stream from my phone any music that could normally be streamed to a headset. this option is nice because i can bring up pandora on my phone and set it down and my stereo will play along nicely. the quality exceeded my expectations, and i feel it is better than most mp3 players that would be directly connected. the benefit of this, to me, is when i get a call the music is paused automatically and the handset rings, and will pickup and play automatically when the call is done.
    i know that does not answer your questions in the OP, but should give some insight to how others make it work for them.
    for lossless i choose flac, if it's an album i do not care about much i'll go with a lower bitrate.
    Last edited by scape; 02-14-2012 at 06:20 AM.

I got this music server:
    http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p.../117839/620191
    It is very much convenient and saves some space when combined with small amplifier like this http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p.../117839/612512
    I recommend this combo when space matters.

Quote Originally Posted by apastron View Post
    I got this music server:
    http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p.../117839/620191
    It is very much convenient and saves some space when combined with small amplifier like this http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p.../117839/612512
    I recommend this combo when space matters.
    Nice server and there are others like it. But $2k? I don't get why a hard drive, cd drive and sound card warrant that price.

Quote Originally Posted by dorz11 View Post
    Nice server and there are others like it. But $2k? I don't get why a hard drive, cd drive and sound card warrant that price.
    I was surprised myself but :
    1. Very good motherboard with an s pdif header ( or sound card with coaxial output )
    2. Very good small factor aluminum case matching amplifier and fan less design
    3. This vortex box with commercial license to create / play Apple files
    4. Convenience to use and sexy look Drop a CD / DVD into the box and in 10 minutes new album appears on iPad remote control.

This similar question to why people with computers buy X-box For high res files sound is better comparing to my mac mini - toslink is only 96/24 and is 25 years old technology, not matching digital coaxial 192/24

Now that the squeeze box has been discontinued, what is the next best suggestion? Sonos?

I broke down and just bought a Sonos Connect ($350). If you buy the Connect from Crutchfield you get the bridge for free (normally $50). I haven't fooled with streamers before so this will be my intro. I'm hoping the sound is decent. I do have a DAC so i'll go from the Sonos digital out into the DAC then DAC out and into my system. I also just bought a Roku box as well so I'm taking on the modern world as my new years resolution!!