Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music servers

Great...so you are sending video as well.
    -curtis

Sorry, the tv out from the video card will send to the tv downstairs to see what I am doing, as well as see the EQ functions. Forgot to mention that.

Thank You.

For me, that is something I wanted to avoid. I did not want to have to use the TV to enjoy my music.
    -curtis

Curtis, the tv out is only to view what I am doing with the sound card and it's miriad options. The tuning of the audio is all I need, as my kit has zero tonals, I need to tune up a few older recordings to bring them to life in my room. The tv out lets me see the audio functions on a different floor than the pc.

how do you choose what song(s) you want to play?
    -curtis

The playlists are available by the program from Creative Labs, but a better listing and format are from Windows Media. It works well from Windows xp pro.
    Either play a sample I made (Clapton Unplugged) and copied well in the Blaster format(forget the extension) and Windows lossless. 20kb for 3 mins! (doh!) But I have tons of space.

What I was getting at is that you need to use the display downstairs to select songs...right?
    -curtis

Curtis, I will use the display downstairs to see what the puter is doing upstairs. The display(lower) will be used in conjunction with the remote key/mouse to tune the sound card for particular songs or moods. From the perfect sound I achieve, I will be able to save the song as tuned.
    All I really want is a fully functional puter in the listening room, but the recent investment lives upstairs, I will have a parallel usage(inside my listening space).

OK...got it now.
    -curtis

Stereophile recently reviewed the Squeezebox and Sonos system:

http://stereophile.com/digitalprocessors/906slim/

http://stereophile.com/mediaservers/1006sonos/
    From this statement though I don't think Mr. Atkinson understands about networking:
    The beauty to me of a distributed-music system is that the noisy PC can be in a different room, and for that you need two ZP80s.
    -curtis