Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Music servers

Default The Advice I Was Looking For

Thanks for the great answer. The Squeezebox sounds like a great product but I think the convenience of the Sonos is going to win the day. It is reassuring to hear positive reports on its audio quality from people running FLAC files. I can't wait to complete our addition in November and get one of these systems up and running. The one other system that could snag me is the Olive Musica, which also has the ability to stream around the house like the Sonos. The single Musica costs more than the Sonos bundle, but Olive's room-extension modules (Sonatas) are only $199 and look sorta like on-wall iPods, which can be operated manually or via remote. So that's appealing, but there are some unpleasant postings around about Olive products, and the Sonos meanwhile seems to elicit positive vibrations all around. Also, with the Olive, it just seems like you're locking into a lot of hardware (a 160GB HD on board the unit at $1099 total, or 250GB for $1500), whereas the Sonos is more modular and therefore flexible down the road.

Glad to hear you really like yours.

Austinbirdman

Yeah, the NAS device is really serving multiple purposes for me. Storage for my FLAC files, backup for other critical data, and a print server for my printer.

The Olive products definitely look interesting as well, but I think I would rather have the storage seperate from the player, as well as the ripping/tagging.
    -curtis

I think the Olive products are having some issues. Go to audiocircle.com and read up on Olive.

i'm a big squeezebox fan and love mine. i also thought it would be worth mentioning the Xbox Media Center in this thread. I just hacked my Xbox and now can access my FLAC files over the network with the Xbox, as well as video and other things. If you have an old Xbox laying around it's a great little front-end for accessing all kinds of content, and it's pretty cheap too.

as for FLAC not playing on portables, I then rip my FLAC to 192kbs VBR mp3s for playing on my iPod. takes up more space, but worth it to have both.

I've never messed with XBMC (although it is installed on my Xbox). I've been using MythTV on my Linux-based HTPC and really enjoy the flexibility of it. TV, music, photos, DVDs...the list goes on. I have to say that getting a working MythTV setup can be a daunting task, it's well worth it for those willing to try.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own

I have a Crearive Labs Platinum X-1 soundcard configured for EQ Stereo running in the new pc, yet to be cabled downstairs into my DAC.
    Is the FLAC so much better than full files, other than space? I have 2x250g drives dedicated to music only, wanting the absolute finest in reproduction.
    I will run a bluetooth key/mouse and video to the big screen down there to manage it.

Thank You.

When the FLAC file is decoded, it is no different than what went into it....nothing is lost. The advantages are the fact that they take up 40-60% space of the original, and it supports meta data(ie. artist, album, track information) which .wav files don't.

On another note: You are going to run a digital connection from your PC to your DAC..one floor to another, and use a bluetooth keyboard/mouse? Have you tried the bluetooth connection yet? The bluetooth spec is 30' with no obstructions. It would be nice to know what kind of connectivity you get.

Have you thought about a Squeezebox or Sonos type solution?
    -curtis

Not yet, Curtis(thank you for the prompt reply, BTW).
    I am familiar with the format presented with the sound card I now have, and the features(EQ) will allow me to tailor the sound of each song to my liking in real time. A remote key/mouse will facilitate this function.
    Seeing the EQ function on screen seems like a real boost here.
    Bluetooth was rec'd from the computer guys, I could still multiplex key/mouse via wifi, throughout the house, with help from geekboy.(SIL).

The rest of the kit seems fine, this will be #3 input to the DAC, a nice variety.

Thank You.

Nuck

(Hi Eddie)

What DAC do you have?

What is presented to the DAC for decoding, whether it originates from a FLAC file or wav file, will be the same.
    -curtis

Curtis, you must be sitting on the thing, oh, I see you a VM.Nice.
    My DAC is a Classe DAC-1. Other parts are Classe CDT-1 transport CP-50 pre and A300amp. Alternate cdp is Rotel cdp 1072. Sonic voices balanced cables, Liberty bi-wire to Psb Stratus Silver speakers.
    The digital out from the card will feed to the DAC, remote will let me listen, see and save settings, and burn or save in real time.

Thank You.