Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Whatcha listening too?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Woke up earlier than I had planned on this morning. Played softball last night...and I am sore....
    Sore from softball?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Anways, I am listening to this mix on my SE's!!! WOW!! (FLAC via digital connection to my Squeezebox2)
    What SE's?

David

Picked up my upgrades yesterday after work! Very happy....still have not put up the surrounds. So I have 340SE's up front, 170SE's for side surrounds, and classic 170's for rear surrounds.

Yes...sore from softball. The legs have not done that kind of sprinting in a while, and my elbow on my non-throwing arm is sore for some reason.
    -curtis

Default Dragonforce!

i just picked up the new dragonforce cd today, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal coming through my 170SE's. for anyone who has ever appreciated any sort of metal music, definately give this band a listen. my mom even likes it!
    CMT-340SE2 Mains & Center, CBM-170SE Surrounds, Rythmik F15, Emotiva XMC-1, Emotiva XPA-5

Here's the mix I had on and off throughout the day....

Celebrate - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
    When You're Older - Kate Earl - Fate is the Hunter
    Be Be Your Love - Yamagata, Rachael - Happenstance
    Better Together - Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams-F
    Back Door Man - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
    Feelin' The Same Way - Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
    When The Heartache Ends - Rob Thomas - Something To Be
    Mary Shut The Garden Door - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
    Chariot - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
    Passion - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
    Things I Miss The Most - Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
    Loki Cat (Featuring Billy Corgan) - Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again
    I Can See Clearly Now - Cole, Holly - The Best of Holly Cole
    Come as You Are - Abair, Mindi - Come as You Are
    Bubble Toes - Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
    Why Georgia - John Mayer - Room For Squares
    Into the Fire - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
    Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
    Chemical Party - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
    100 Years - Five For Fighting - The Battle For Everything
    Speed of Sound - Coldplay - X&Y

Not a whole lot different than the one I posted a couple of weeks ago.
    -curtis

Just sat on the sofa and listened to all of the Holly Cole's Greatest Hits CD......real good stuff!

Now time for bed!
    -curtis

Default Various tests for the Ascends that allow them to shine.

Here's a my favs on the Ascend my 170SE Hsu STF1 2.1 system connected to dvd player via optical cable:

These melt your soul with the clarity of vocals, strings:

Sia: Colour the Small One
    Andrew Bird: Mysterious Production of Eggs
    Beck: Sea Change

These are my technical marvels that I've never heard accurately represented until I got my Ascends:

Radiohead: OK Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief, Amnesiac
    Grandaddy: Sophtware Slump
    Massive Attack: Mezzanine
    Portishead: Dummy
    Sigur Ros: Takk
    Groove Armada: Vertigo

and in the Misc category:

Wynton Marsallis(don't know, it was a friends cd but the horns/piano were amazing)
    Led Zeppelin: I

And if you have them connected to your computer and ESPECIALLY if you like motion graphics, this is one of my favorite clips(and others on the site):
    Zoo Room Ranch

And for some really good independant radio with a quality stream:
    The Current: Minnesota Public Radio

One issue. Previously I couldn't hear the difference in this material on my cds ripped to 192kbps mp3s in iTunes and now I can hear 'clipping' of the dynamics and it is very annoying. Not REALLY a problem when you really think about it though...

I didn't know how much I liked Ascend speakers until I put in a well recorded multichannel DVD. The variance in the quality of source material in movies and music is mind boggling to me? I have listened to some of the above recommendations since first reading this post and appreciate the doors that have been opened

Here are my personal favorites on the Ascends:

Cold Play - Live 2003 (DVD Concert) - Absolutely the best rock concert DVD I have heard to date. Defnitely my favorite thing to listen to on the Ascends. Especially tracks 9 and 13. This DTS mix makes me feel like I am front and center. The lead vocals are perfect! The instruments are deep in the soundstage. The mix is very seamless across the front and front to back. I am a novice, but I guarantee if you can stand the genre this is worth the listen. I have been to a Coldplay concert and my girlfriend and I had more fun watching this, don't ask! LOL

Marian McPartland - Live At Shanghai Jazz (CD) - This album sounds absolutely live. This 80 something year old NPR pianist gets down with various accompniments in a completely live setting. This album just has a great feel and generally improves my mood! I definitely recommend trying this one!

Cafe Cubana (CD from Starbucks) - This is a compilation of various cuban artists. While some of the recordings are better than others, the horn, piano and bongos throughout this CD make you feel like you are a part of the music. Infact this is a fun album to beat along with on a pair of bongos if you own some

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS CD and DVD Concert) - This is one of the cleanest recordings I have ever heard. It's so clean that it almost sounds like something is missing. Like everyone else, I think this is a very high quality cut and pairs very well with the ascends. At my typical settings I find that the lead singer is a bit too strong in the center. Most DTS concerts I have tried have the opposite effect.

I have listened to tons of DVD concerts from Netflix. There are none that stand out as excellent other than those mentioned. The jazz/classical genere tends to be recorded much better than your typical rock concert. For instance, Piano Grand Masters is recorded really well when compared to Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Green Day. I guess the environment has something to do with this? I look forward to seeing more recommendations. Regards!

Supertramp- Breakfast in America !!

This week it has been:

Al Di Meola - "One of these nights" DVD - WOW!!! He is my favorite Jazz gutiarist

Chieli Minucci - "A night with Chieli and Special Efx" DVD - This one is also very good!!

If you like guitar talent, these two are definately two of the best out there!!
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

I have 2 DiMeola cds.
    I agree, he is an awesome player.
    I'd like to hear him play alongside jaco pastorius, I wonder if they've played together?