Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remedying weak bass of 340SE

Unhappy Remedying weak bass of 340SE

After 2 months of waiting, I finally received my 340SE today. Yay~

I hooked them up to HK635 and the first thing I noticed was the lack of bass. (I also noticed the superior sound clarity, but that's not the problem of course)

340SE was supposed to an upgrade from my 21 year old Jensen bookshelf speakers which have the same height, but 50% wider to accomodate bigger bass driver.

But compared to the old clunker, 340SE's bass is pretty much non-existent.

I guess having a relatively large 25' (facing this wall) x 17' room with 9' ceiling doesn't help. I was hoping to get away with not buying a subwoofer, but I guess that doesn't appear to be an option at this point.

Sorry for rambling.... but would VTF-2 suffice or do I need to plunk down another $200 for VTF-3? Thanks for your help!

Although I don't doubt the Jensens extended deeper, I am willing to bet the Ascends and more linear and the bass that the do play is cleaner.

If you long for true clean deep bass for music, the VTF-2 would suffice....but for HT in that big of a room, the STF-3 or VTF-3 will be needed.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by incyphe
    I hooked them up to HK635 and the first thing I noticed was the lack of bass. (I also noticed the superior sound clarity, but that's not the problem of course)
    How did you calibrate? EZset or manual? What source material (movies, SACDs, 2ch music)?

When I had a 435, I found it took several tries with EZset with some manual tweaking, to get the overall sound/bass to sound to my liking. Regardless, I think a sub's a good investment.

Lightbulb

The 340s are NOT a full range speaker. A sub becomes a required accessory to fill out the low end. The VTF-2 would probably suffice, for now.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Why not just turn up the bass a little, this is something you should be able to do with your receiver. I think the 340's are flat to 50 Hz which for most music is deep enough (some exceptions would be deep bass guitar heavy music and pipe organ). It may be the bass is there but you are not used to a flat curve, in which case there is nothing wrong with bumping up the bass to make it sound pleasing to your ear. Of course a subwoofer is always a good idea, especially is you try the above suggestion and it is not enough. A sub will fill out the bottom end and will bring the sound to a new plain.

Tweaking the bass in the receiver definitely helps, but I guess my good old Jensens had a lot more low-end oomph that I thought. I negected to mention that Jensens were hooked up to an old Sony receiver (also bought in 1985) with bass cranked up all the way. I guess my ears will have to adjust a bit too.

Anyway, I decided not to get HSU and instead just ordered the new SVS PB12-NSD. I can't believe I spent $1800 in the past 2months on audio equipments w/o setting a foot in a store.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Quote Originally Posted by incyphe
    I can't believe I spent $1800 in the past 2months on audio equipments w/o setting a foot in a store.
    You are not alone...

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

you're most definitely not alone. In the last 6 months I've outfitted my entire basement theater: TV's (2), AVR, DVD, MP3-streamer, Ascends (3 x 340SE & 4 x 200's), Sub, speaker wire, inter-connects, and mounts over the internet. It's turned into somewhat of a game... ...refusing to buy anything at a B&M retailer.

I love it! Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by EMD
    ...refusing to buy anything at a B&M retailer.
    Well... not to start an OT rant or argument, but I do everything I can to shop at B&M's. Supporting local businesses is important to me. I'm not blind about it either way and will shop for the best 'value' (put your own definition to that word), whether it be online or local.

Obviously I am buying in CA from a CA merchant (Ascend) even though I'm paying tax... which some do everything to avoid. I try to support my state or local or even national economy (if I have a chance to purchase out of the country).

As part of my 'upgrade' process I bought a new DVD universal player (Pio Elite DV-79avi). The best unit for the best price with the best 'value' was at a local B&M. It would have been foolish to not buy it from them.

JMHO - and another perspective.

Cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    The 340s are NOT a full range speaker. A sub becomes a required accessory to fill out the low end. The VTF-2 would probably suffice, for now.
    Hasn't davef stated explicitly that they ARE full range speakers?