Thread: Surround levels for 7.1 system

Default Surround levels for 7.1 system

I just purchased a cmt 340 se for center duty. I was using a cbm 170se for a center, but it has been moved to the rear for a 7.1 set-up instead of a 6.1 set-up. My sound and vision set-up disc only calibrates 6.1(one surround back). How should the two back channels be calibrated from a volume level stand point. Should they be combined together to level match with the other speakers or seperate level matched. If seperate how do I do this with only a 6.1 set-up disc.
    CBM-170 L,C,R,LS,RS,BS
    Pioneer 1015
    HSU VTF 3 MK II

Your signature shows that you have a Pioneer 1015. Use the test tones in your receiver.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

i thought about that but I was under the impression that utilizing a set up discs test tones gave you a better level match because that is the source the dvd will be coming from
    CBM-170 L,C,R,LS,RS,BS
    Pioneer 1015
    HSU VTF 3 MK II

Use the test disk to set the front levels and then use the internal tones to make the rears the same as the front that you just set with the test disk. You get the best of both worlds.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by moehop
    i thought about that but I was under the impression that utilizing a set up discs test tones gave you a better level match because that is the source the dvd will be coming from
    Yes.....from the source all the way to the speakers is best.
    -curtis

so you are saying that the the two rear channels should be combined to match the levels of all the other speakers
    CBM-170 L,C,R,LS,RS,BS
    Pioneer 1015
    HSU VTF 3 MK II

Quote Originally Posted by moehop
    so you are saying that the the two rear channels should be combined to match the levels of all the other speakers
    No, calibrate them as individual speakers when using the receivers test tones. The receiver will then determine what level signal gets sent to the speaker on actual DVD movies and music. If you are listening to a 6.1 DVD (there aren't many) the receiver will do what it needs to do to produce the recorded sound from the rear speakers.

The best thing for you would be to get a new test disk with 7.1 but short of that I think the best solution is to follow the process I posted above.

1. Calibrate levels of front speakers using test disk
    2. Using the receivers test tones, calibrate each rear speaker to play at the same level as the calibrated front speakers.
    Darren

can you reccomend a few set-up discs with this capability?

thanks
    CBM-170 L,C,R,LS,RS,BS
    Pioneer 1015
    HSU VTF 3 MK II

The most common disks recommended are "Digital Video Essentials" and "The AVIA Guide to Home Theater." Both of them are 5.1 however. I would just suggest you level the front speakers using your test disk and then make your rears level with the fronts using the internal test tones of the receiver. It will be just as accurate and you don't have to buy anything else.
    Darren