Thread: Ascend vs Definitive Tech?

Default Ascend vs Definitive Tech?

I'm looking to upgrade my setup sometime soon and was curious if anyone had compared the two lines while auditioning? I'm particularly interested in Def Tech's bipolar design and would ultimately like something with a great soundstage that really envelopes me in sound. Being that this is an Ascend forum, I know that most of the responses, if not at all will recommend the Ascends, but I'd still like to know how well they stack up against each other. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm assuming you're comparing the SM 450's. I would expect they are going to be very different from the Ascend's based on their specs. You'll definitely prefer one over the other and the only way to know which sound you prefer is to audition in home. If you don't plan on using a sub, the DT's will have an advantage down low. With a sub, the Ascend's will more than hold their own but a few weeks with both speakers will easily settle it once and for all.
    There is a little known Forum rule that states once you've asked a question and done an audition, you've gotta post your thoughts. Look forward to hearing how it turns out. And welcome.

David

I have not compared them side by side but I auditioned a few DefTech models up to about $1200 that seemed alright. Then I heard Paradigm and I prefered monitor series over them and then I heard the studios which I was about to buy untill Ascend came along. To my ears the DefTechs sound muddy compared to Ascend. IMO the ascends are MUCH better speakers. BTW I ended up spending my speaker money on car repairs and havent been able to get extra cash together since. Oh well, one day I will get em.

I went from Def Tech BP-6B to Ascend 340's. IMO the Ascends are better in just about every way.

The Ascends image amazingly well while the DT's throw up a wall of sound. The DT's do play lower but that is the only area they have an advantage. If you have a good sub this advantage goes away. I don't regret my upgrade to Ascend in the slightest.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1