Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powering My Ascends: Receiver/Separates Upgrade Thoughts

Someone on AVS bought the Boston/Sherwood amp to replace his UL amp and said it made a positive difference. I will try and find the post.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Thanks Curtis, I think I'm now leaning towards a solid 2-channel or set of monoblocks for the mains, because frankly I don't really need a new Pre/Pro since the Denon has pre outs and I literally use only one all-digital source, so I think spending the extra money on a better 2-channel is worth it. If I want to upgrade the Pre/Pro later to get balanced outputs and whatever new whizbang DACs and multichannel codecs come out, I would have that option.

Who makes the best 200w monoblocks or 2x200w 2-channel amp per dollar, I wonder? A used hand-made (not mass made) Odyssey or maybe (gulp) even Bryston amp is quite tempting and I get the feeling that one of these would last me a decade or more...but $$$...

Thanks for continued thoughts,
    Adam
    Last edited by Ad-Rok; 05-14-2006 at 04:55 PM.

A nice two-channel amp is good way to go IMO. If you can, get your hands on one and give it a try first to make sure the differences, if any, warrant the costs for you. Maybe a three-channel amp to match the front soundstage.

Also...don't get hung up at "200" watts. I went from 150wpc to 100wpc.....and the lower powered amp seems to have better bass.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Ad-Rok
    Who makes the best 200w monoblocks or 2x200w 2-channel amp per dollar, I wonder?
    Per dollar your best bet is probably pro gear but then you have fans to contend with.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    A nice two-channel amp is good way to go IMO. If you can, get your hands on one and give it a try first to make sure the differences, if any, warrant the costs for you. Maybe a three-channel amp to match the front soundstage.

Also...don't get hung up at "200" watts. I went from 150wpc to 100wpc.....and the lower powered amp seems to have better bass.
    Good ideas and good point on the not getting hung up on wattage...this could be a projection from my other hobby passion, chasing the elusive last bit of horsepower in my little rice rocket. :-)

Thanks again,
    Adam

Thanks for the link Curtis, definitely food for thought. I wonder how long those closeout BA amps will stick around. I do like that they have two transformers - it means that if you pick the right channel arrangements, two channel playback will effectively be via a dual-mono amp.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Thanks for the link Curtis, definitely food for thought. I wonder how long those closeout BA amps will stick around. I do like that they have two transformers - it means that if you pick the right channel arrangements, two channel playback will effectively be via a dual-mono amp.
    Really? How does one know which transformers are assigned to which of the 7 channels in that Boston amp?

I've been considering a "pro" DJ amp like the Behringers sold at zzounds, though I'm a little worried about build quality and fan noise. How can those amps be so much cheaper than the likes of Bryston, Odyssey, etc...?

Sigh...the quest goes on!

-Adam

How can those amps be so much cheaper than the likes of Bryston, Odyssey, etc...?
    Fans are cheaper than larger heatsinks. Thats one reason.

I'm a pretty big fan of QSC for pro audio. I bet they would work great for home theater if you didnt mind a little fan noise.

Really? How does one know which transformers are assigned to which of the 7 channels in that Boston amp?
    I think saw it noted somewhere, but I'd have to go digging again.