Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Current "Classics" owners: Are you planning on upgrading?

All good ideas. I'm still struggling with the idea of turning my $650 pair of classic 340s into an almost $900-1000 pair of SEs, and $350 pair of classic 170s into a $500 pair of SEs. I'm starting to like Sensibull's way of thinking more and more. Maybe I'll just wait until the upgrade itch really gets bad (maybe after hearing a set of SEs?) before I scratch it. Keep those things away from me then.

I'm thinking of upgrading the 170s, which I'm using for 2 channel right now, but leaving the 340 in the HT alone. I'm kind of with you guys in that it seems a shame to send the 340 to the scrap heap. I think with shipping and upgrade costs selling them used and ordering 340SEs may workout better.

Bit the bullet & upgraded (340LCR & 170 SR/SL). Slightly fuller overall sound. Not necessarily night/day improvement, but worth the upgrade cost to me. In blind test, most would be satisfied w/ the sound of the classics IMO though. Ascend's just make a great product better.

Quote Originally Posted by BGHD
    Bit the bullet & upgraded (340LCR & 170 SR/SL). Slightly fuller overall sound. Not necessarily night/day improvement, but worth the upgrade cost to me. In blind test, most would be satisfied w/ the sound of the classics IMO though. Ascend's just make a great product better.
    Agreed, I also think the detail is better from top to bottom, no signs of stress when really cranked up. I also think they are more transparent.

I have been playing my 340SE's the last 5 days or so without a sub, mainly because I have been playing with a new amp, but I am also going to be listening to some NHT Classic 3's today, and I want to listen to all my "testing" material.
    -curtis

great thread. has it been discussed yet on any thread about what is happening to the old drivers? i'd love to get some just for dink'in around in the garage.
    some of you can keep me in mind when you decide to sell your classics. i want some for my garage.

I would guess that the removed drivers are kept around for replacing damaged drivers in other classics, but that's just a guess.

Am watching Saving Private Ryan DDay scene as I type. Could never put my finger on it, but whatever was missing before isn't anymore. Not that I know what "real" sounds like, but ricocheting bullets, the sound of clinking buckles, etc, just sound even more realistic. I'm beginning to like the SEs more and more.

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Agreed, I also think the detail is better from top to bottom, no signs of stress when really cranked up. I also think they are more transparent.

I have been playing my 340SE's the last 5 days or so without a sub, mainly because I have been playing with a new amp, but I am also going to be listening to some NHT Classic 3's today, and I want to listen to all my "testing" material.

Hey Curtis,
    Did you get to hear the NHT Classic 3's?