Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Current "Classics" owners: Are you planning on upgrading?

Ever since the SEs were announced I considered an upgrade to be a given, just a matter of time, but recently I've managed to quiet that nagging voice of the obsessive tweaker and ease onto a nice plateau of satisfaction where the weather is nice, the view is fine, and I don't feel the urge to go any higher any time soon. Figure I better enjoy it while it lasts

Lightbulb

I'm planning on upgrading, it's just not in the budget for this year. I also am very happy with my current setup.
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I was on the upgrade list but took my name off.

I got distracted by building my own subwoofers to replace my SVS. Sub one is complete and the second one will be started this week. The first sub is better than my SVS 25-31 PC+ and when the second one is finished the bass should be downright ridiculous.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3
    I was on the upgrade list but took my name off.

I got distracted by building my own subwoofers to replace my SVS. Sub one is complete and the second one will be started this week. The first sub is better than my SVS 25-31 PC+ and when the second one is finished the bass should be downright ridiculous.
    When you say it is better, is this through measurements, or your ears?
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I was all set to do the SE thing with my 170's when out of the blue, my receiver started glitching on me. I spent the SE upgrade money, and then some, on a new Denon receiver. Oh well......the classics still sound great so maybe next year.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I "exercised" the classics with Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" DVD-A yesterday. Sat in the sweet spot for 10-15 minutes and it was great. Only towards the end did I wonder "How would the SE's sound?"

Still...I was very pleased.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I "exercised" the classics with Donald Fagen's "Morph the Cat" DVD-A yesterday. Sat in the sweet spot for 10-15 minutes and it was great. Only towards the end did I wonder "How would the SE's sound?"

Still...I was very pleased.
    Off the topic, but isn't that DVD-A just flat out awesome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gov
    Off the topic, but isn't that DVD-A just flat out awesome!!!
    It is definitely growing on me. I had told people that I preferred Steely Dan's "Everything Must Go" DVD-A to "Morph"....but now I am not so sure.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Bailey
    When you say it is better, is this through measurements, or your ears?
    My sub plays lower, louder, is better able to play cleanly on very quick bass passages, and has a better tone to my ears. Other than that the SVS is just as good. My sub is a 15" sealed sonotube sub in a 4.5 Cubic foot enclosure.

Some of these differences are subtle and others are not. The lower and louder are pretty obvious just by the seat of the pants. The quicker is something that I hear and my wife gives me a dumb look. The better tone is obviously just my opinion. I will say that I was a music major at college and have spent thousands of hours sitting in the middle of various bands so I have a pretty strong opinion of what I believe is accurate sound.

I haven't run any ground plane measurements or anything like that and really have no intention to since I don't plan to start selling these things for a living but I can tell you that I am not disappointed. Both subs are EQ'd flat using a Velodyne SMS-1. The SMS-1 also gave me some visual confirmation that my sub was extending deeper.
    Darren
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

I upgraded my basement 170s to the SEs last week, and notice (1) greater clarity, (b) greater bass, and especially (c) much greater dispersion in our oddly-shaped basement. I'm almost around a corner from the speakers and didn't really enjoy them as much before. Now it's like being in front of them.

Pegleg