Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Current "Classics" owners: Are you planning on upgrading?

Default Current "Classics" owners: Are you planning on upgrading?

I have a full 'Classic' setup and still can't decide if I should/need to upgrade. I'm not in anyway unhappy with what I have, just curious of what the SE might add. With all the orders going out, I imagine all those on the upgrade list will start getting emails soon. Please help me decide.

I'm about 60% TV/movies, 40% music (now mostly hi-res). Currently 340LCR, 170L/R, 200 rears, VTF3.

I have 340 classic mains and center and 170 surrounds. I will probably eventually upgrade the 340's to SE's ... but I guess there is no hurry - I have a feeling the SE's will be in production for a long while. Like you I'm certainly not unhappy with the classics and the upgrade will be more from curiosity than need.

Same here. I've got other things in the pipeline that will come before a speaker upgrade.
    - EVH III

I have a full classic setup as well...340's up front, 170's as surrounds. I really like the SE's, and will be upgrading when my budget allows, but I am in no hurry.

I have had my Ascend setup for over three years now......very satisfied.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Horton
    Same here. I've got other things in the pipeline that will come before a speaker upgrade.
    Same here. Traveling, the bikes and the garden are sucking all my disposable income (and then some) right now. Maybe in the Fall. I'll also probably try to sell my Classics instead of trading them in. They're too good to just ship off to the recycle heap.

David

Like everyone else here, I also have the "Classic" setup of CMT340 (L/C/R) and CBM170 (L/R). I am currently in the queue for Dave's CMT Upgrade Program. I'll send the CBMs back for refurb to SE config. after I recieve the CMTs. Curtis, what impressed you about the SEs versus the Classics? I'm upgrading on "Faith" that there will be some form of sound improvement (please note that I'm also very content with my current setup but am compelled to upgrade to Dave's latest and greatest). Should have the new CMT's within the next couple of weeks per e-mail from Dave.
    Greetings from Central Florida!

It looks like I'm one of the few to have completed an SE upgrade so far (CBM-170s). My vote is that if you listen to a good amount of music, definitely consider the upgrade or sell/buy (in other threads it has been discussed that selling classics and buying new SE's might be cheaper). As everyone said, it's about your available money and priorities.

As for what the SE adds, I would give the somewhat cheesy comment that they are continued progress on what made the classics special - neutrality and clarity.

I like Brad's cheesy comment. I think the added cleanliness and sweetnest, especially in the highs, also adds some transparency. The added bass extension is nice as well, but negated with a good subwoofer.
    -curtis

Thanks for the replies. I guess if my pocketbook allows, I'll give the SE-upgrade a strong consideration. But, man, with the money it'd take to upgrade my entire 5-spk set, I could get a ton of music, movies or even a the new HDDVD player (tho' I wouldn't get it since I'm waiting for the BR/HD wars to settle first). Time to prioritize my upcoming "fun money" purchases I guess.

Well...
    I currently have 340 classics across the front and 170 classics for surround.

I'm selling the 170's and 340c, moving the 340 classics to the rear and replacing the front LCR's with new 340SE's.

I thought this was a good way to upgrade.

cheers

shane
    Yes Eve, I like to watch.

My setup:
    http://www.fototime.com/5EF1F78FC789849/orig.jpg
    HT: 340SE's Front & Center - 340 Classic's Surround, SVS PB110-ISD.
    Office (2-ch): 170SE's