Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EXBAC for my center? with pix..

Default EXBAC for my center? with pix..

should I order three 340SE or two 340SE and one 340SEC?

Center Channel will be on the AV rack, in front of the screen/RPTV
    Attached Images Attached Images

Give Ascend a call for a consult.

How much space between the TV and the rear of the center channel?

I'm freaking jealous.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Give Ascend a call for a consult.

How much space between the TV and the rear of the center channel?

I'm freaking jealous.
    Current center is sealed, so it sits towards the base of the tv, but I'd say i can have as much as 4" if the concern is blocking the port.

jealous? I'll take that as a compliment.

feel free to browse:
    http://www.cyberfrogs.net/photo/inde...ouse/mediaroom

the pix are in chrono order..oldest first..newest at the end. I've fot more room treatments up than are shown in pix...need to take some more pix and add them.

Definitely a compliment.

I would call Ascend about your center channel options and placement.
    -curtis

This is pretty close to my setup in terms of placement (pull-down screen in front of TV). Dave addressed this issue in a post somewhere and IIRC, he said if the screen is within a foot or so of the front of the speaker, you'll want EXBAC. I'll do a quick search.

Looks like he said <2' = yes to Exbac:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1645

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    Looks like he said <2' = yes to Exbac:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=1645
    thanks....

now lets assume i change my mind and place the center somehwere away from any bouundaries...how will EXBAC affect that? i guess the question would be...

am i better with or without if my conditions my change later on?

Quote Originally Posted by PLincoln
    am i better with or without if my conditions my change later on?
    If you aren't sure how conditions will change, that's an impossible question to answer. If you know for certain they will go one way or the other, the answer seem self-evident.

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    If you aren't sure how conditions will change, that's an impossible question to answer. If you know for certain they will go one way or the other, the answer seem self-evident.
    please elaborate on how its "self-evident".

I am asking if one or the other is more versitile in placement. If that is not the case, then why even bother with EXBAC? what are the adverse effects of using a non-EXBAC in front of a tv or on top of a open av rack...on the flip side, what are the adverse effects of using a EXPAC center on a dedicated stand away from boundaries. how do these things affect the dispersion of the center channel on/off axis? are there graphs to show the difference between the two options?

EXBAC Defined: the front baffle of a loudspeaker creates diffraction losses as longer (lower frequency) sound waves travel along the surface of the front baffle rather then beam forward. This creates problems because these lower frequencies (usually located in the critical midrange response) are 6dB down from the higher frequencies which beam forward. Placing a loudspeaker on top of a TV amplifies these problems by effectively increasing the size of the front baffle, thus creating an effect where vocals can sound nasal and thin. Our EXBAC circuit actually compensates from these losses resulting in an incredibly clean and natural sounding midrange, even when the speaker is placed atop a TV.
    I think you have to decide how you are going to place the speaker and go with what's best with that situation.
    -curtis