Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Over kill

If you are doing 5.1, then the surrounds should be to the sides of the listenning position......not 15' back(if that is what you meant).

Have a look at this:
    http://dolbylabs.com/consumer/home_e...oomlayout.html

If using two subs is the way you want to go, then two of the same subs would be easier to intergrate than two different subs. Placement is dependent on room, acoustics, and what you are trying to achieve(ie, flat response vs. higher output).
    -curtis

Default 7.1

Sorry to be a pain but I'm spending a lot of money and want to do it right.
    If I go with 7.1 can I use the 170's for my surround speakers with 340 every where else? It would save me a couple of bucks if I could. Also if I go with 2 subs can I use lower power or should I stick with 2 STF3's? Thanks again.
    Rtthinker

Quote Originally Posted by rtthinker
    Sorry to be a pain but I'm spending a lot of money and want to do it right.
    If I go with 7.1 can I use the 170's for my surround speakers with 340 every where else? It would save me a couple of bucks if I could.
    Rtthinker

Absolutely! For a slightly more economical option consider using the 200's in all the surround positions. Most of movie audio will be presented thru the front 3 speakers...so spend most of your money on them.

Randy

There is always the VTF-HO if you are willing to wait a bit for it. Another good option is SVS. Their Ultra drivers are pretty amazing. The plus drivers are awfully good too.

As for your mains I think 340s in front and 170s for surround will be great.

The HTM-200 is working for me, in a 13x16ft room. I was thinking of going with a bigger speaker, but this sounds fine. And they are light enough so I can put them anywhere and not worry too much about mounting it on the drywall.