Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AV123 sale

Curtis:

The why on the ones picked is probably two fold. First is availability, they've said they have a bunch sitting in the warehouse to clear out. Second is likely cost, 50% off a cheaper model is less of a loss than offering it on a more expensive one.

Well the nice thing here is hindsight will eventually tell the story on this one.

Also BradJudy, by your own statement, Mark only said he wants to clear out what is currently sitting in the warehouse. No risk of breaking integrity there considering cutting the prices in half should be very effective at accomplishing that objective. Just clarifying that cause i'm sure this Mark fellow i dont know is a nice guy. But there's nothing wrong with us speculating what's up with the price cut.

Azanon, here is Mark's reply:

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Wow... good stuff... I'll do my best to explain...

We do in fact have some superb competition out there... good for them... good for us... The simple truth though is all about good business sense...

We are currently in 40,000 square feet in our factory... We are due to open our 180,000 square foot facility just after Chinese New Year... We are a little behind right now as the apartments for our senior staff are not ready... and neither is the commissary... but we are close...

I tried to plan this out as best as I could... so, before closing down the old factory we built a pile of goods... As such, we are set to receive 2400 speakers over the next 3 weeks (400 of which arrived today) and then another 2400 speakers 3 weeks later... This is way more than what we need (normally)... but I wanted to insure an uninterrupted flow of product through our New Year... Chinese New Year... and Russian Orthodox New Year... We are ready...

Our warehouse cannot support what we are bringing in (ask Mike at ACI about warehouse space... he'll just smile... or David at Ascend)... this is THE X Factor these days...

I simply moved what we had lots of (250's and 150's mainly) and at prices that are fair and reasonable... We make a reasonable margin... and I'm not ashamed of that... I'm in business... and this is America, right?

Further... there are no new products planned that have not already been announced with the exception of one speaker that will be unveiled at CES... No biggie... no new speakers planned. The RS 1K's and the Strata product will all make their way out next year...

The best way to answer the "belly up" issue is to ask why would I invest HUGE dollars in a new 180K sq. ft. ground up factory *if* I were going belly up? Good question... The fact of the matter is we are building more and more cabinets for our competitors than ever before... and you will see several examples of this at CES... some are just sensational, BTW...

Our margins are fair... they are the by product or building mass quantities of speakers in The PRC... we make a fair margin... and by selling some of our product at lower than normal margins to open space, clean up the warehouse... and get ready for new larger loads of speakers over the next 6 weeks just makes sense... Most of the 150's and 250's sold went with other product also...

We also moved what small quantities of b stock we had on the warehouse floor... also a good idea at this time of year...

I hope this illuminates the shadows...

To those of you that were able to order and get some of these really nice deals I have only this to say... GOOD FOR YOU... The RS 150 and RS 250 are spectacular products at the regular price... and at 50% off... they are a STEAL...

Happy Holidays...

All the best...

mls<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I saw it - it was a direct replay to me and I already responded.

Maybe i should have been a little more fair to him. Between you guys, i'm still a little skeptical, but I mostly recanted on AVS. (/shy) The visiblity at AVS, Inc. seems to be quite high.

(edit) He did give a direct answer (more or less) regarding price margins though. They are at least double. I honestly dont have any opinion about that one way or the other - maybe a more than double price margin is perfectly normal. Now that i think about it - it probably is.

Azanon, I know you've posted it before here but will you remind me what Ascends you ordered? I've about decided on a package and was wondering if you went with the 340s.

I went with 170s L/R, 340 center, 200s rear, and VTF-2. And let me mention David was excellent help in the process. They are coming in Thursday and Friday, yipee! I actually took off work, lol. I can just see the UPS man dropping them off, then some guy with a pickup truck drive by seeing those large boxes by my front door, then loading them up.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by azanon

I went with 170s L/R, 340 center, 200s rear, and VTF-2. And let me mention David was excellent help in the process. They are coming in Thursday and Friday, yipee! I actually took off work, lol. I can just see the UPS man dropping them off, then some guy with a pickup truck drive by seeing those large boxes by my front door, then loading them up.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Darn, I was hoping you had gone with the 340s across the front. I wanted to slither my way into an audition. The 340s are what I am leaning towards for my fronts. I will certainly be interested in hearing your opinion of the 200 surrounds. I want to use them also. I'm just hoping they will blend with the 340s. I hate that they don't go a shade lower. I wanted all my speakers to be strong down to 80Hz.

Well they are all supposedly timbre matched, and i'll just use my test tone on my receiver to make sure all of my speakers are volume matched. I considered 340s for L/R as well, but just ended up going 170s. 80hz still falls above the -3db point for the 200s though I think. No matter for me since i intend to use my Sony's internal crossover at 100hz anyway, and just let the VTF-2 take it from there.

True to their word, they put the 150 and 250 back to the original price. No way in hell i'd pay that now, if I were buying today. I'm just one of those people that want a great deal, and I'd be incapable of tricking my mind into thinking I'm getting that when they used to sell them, even if only for a short time, at half that price.

Would you buy the exact same car for $30,000 if it used to be sold for $15K a month ago? I wouldn't.

Lol. well, you chose the most extreme example as a point in comparison, triple-stacking the deck in your favor, so to speak, but I understand your point.

and I agree with you.