Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Receiver advice for 340's

Default Receiver advice for 340's

Hey guys--I have about $6-$700 to spend on a receiver and had the following on my list:

HK AVR-635
    Denon AVR-3805
    Onkyo TX-SR803

I can't really decide between them. I like hearing small nuances and details in music, and after auditioning the 340's, they sound great to me--detailed, yet warm at the same time. 80% music, 20% HT.

Thanks in advance.

What electronics were used in your audition?
    -curtis

Panasonic XR-55 receiver and Marantz CD changer...

(thanx Eddie!)

I think you will find fans of all those receivers.

Since you liked them with the XR55...why not one of those?
    -curtis

H/K and Panasonic seem to be particularly popular among Ascend owners. My next step from my H/K AVR-520 will probably be to separates. There hasn't really been a technology reason for me to buy a new receiver yet (maybe once HDMI 1.3 with new audio formats gets all settled).

I like my H/K, but the model you mentioned is three(?) models after mine, so I don't know if my experience is applicable.

Default Denon

I use a Denon 3803 with my 340's and they sound amazing.
    Just my 2 cents.

Rocky

for what it's worth, I bought both the H/K 435 and the Panny XR55 about two months ago and then spent a couple of weeks going back and forth between the two. Even without considering the price difference, I would have stayed with the Panny. The sounds is, simply, more real (less processed sounding) than with the H/K. Plus, I saved a couple of hundred dollars.

sls7u,

Can you plese give more details about your experience. Did you listen to both music and movies? What is your transport. Thanks

I listened to a mixture of TV (DirecTV via the HD DirecTV Tivo box connected via optical), DVD (Denon 1920 via optical), SACD/DVD-A and XBox 360. I used two different methods. I fully hooked up both receivers and watched the same TV show (CSI) and movie (LOTR 2) and music CDs (Dark Side of the Moon and part of a Beethoven piece). Also, I hooked up both receives simultaneously to a single 340SE and would switch the input cable from one receiver to the other.

All in all, both units sounded much better than my old one (Yamaha 5450). However, the Panasonic just sounded "truer" to me. I wish I could describe the differences better, but I'm new to this whole audiophile world. But, the cymbols in the opening song of CSI, the explosions in The Two Towers, the voice overs on Dark Side, the strings in the classical piece, all sounded more "wow I think that cymbol/explosion/etc. is actually in the room with me" with the Panny.

Plus, I could go blow a couple of hundred bucks on more SACDs without feeling guilty.

If anyone could enlighten me, where the in the uknowwhat can i buy a panasonic xr50/55/70? I can only locate them on ebay once in a while or direct from panasonic.

help.