Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small Bookshelf. HTM-200 or SBS-01?

Default Small Bookshelf. HTM-200 or SBS-01?

My friend is building a stereo system and is currently looking at the B*SE 3-2-1 II GS.

I'm trying to convince him that getting a small bookshelf pair, stereo receiver, and small sub will give him better performance.

1. Do you agree?

2. Would the Ascend HTM-200 or SVS SBS-01 be a better option? I was also looking at Onix X-LS, but those are too big. Any other options?

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    1. Do you agree?
    Is this a trick question? Of course, almost everyone on any audio forum will whole heartly agree with you.

2. Would the Ascend HTM-200 or SVS SBS-01 be a better option? I was also looking at Onix X-LS, but those are too big. Any other options?
    Either would be a much better option. I have a pair of HTM-200's and I definitely recommend them with a good sub. The SVS have a good reputation as well. You can't go wrong either way.

David

My friend is building a stereo system and is currently looking at the B*SE 3-2-1 II GS.

I'm trying to convince him that getting a small bookshelf pair, stereo receiver, and small sub will give him better performance.

1. Do you agree?

I would expect the HTM-200s to be more accurate than the SVS speakers, and the X-LS speakers to be less accurate than the HTMs but more lively with better bass and spark.

If your friend is on a tight budget, electronicsexpo.com has the Infinity Primus 150s for $68/pair shipped --- check out the Stereophile review by Rob Reina.

Eddie, I have recently heard the X-LS's and I would not call them livelier than the HTM-200's. Definitely more bass than the 200, and different than the Ascend sound we are all used to.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    Eddie, I have recently heard the X-LS's and I would not call them livelier than the HTM-200's. Definitely more bass than the 200, and different than the Ascend sound we are all used to.
    I guess by "livelier" I meant the treble is probably a little more exaggerated, which some people like esp. when combined with extra mid-bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I guess by "livelier" I meant the treble is probably a little more exaggerated, which some people like esp. when combined with extra mid-bass.
    Actually, compared to Ascends, the treble is rolled off....mids and vocals are a bit recessed.
    -curtis

Actually, compared to Ascends, the treble is rolled off....mids and vocals are a bit recessed.
    I A/B'ed the X-LS's and the 200's and I agree with Curtis. I can see some folks preferring one over the other because they are so different but with a very good sub, I'd much prefer the 200's. The 200's cost more so it's not a fair comparison. They're different speakers with different objectives.

David

wow, that's surprising to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    wow, that's surprising to hear!
    You think so? Why?
    -curtis

You think so? Why?
    From reading about other people's experience with the XL-S, I got the impression they were more forward and kind of aggressive-sounding speakers.