Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hd-dvd

I saw HD-DVD using the HD-A1 on a nice big 1080p display at the HE Show here in LA last June.

Stunning! I wonder how it would look on my 720p display.

I have an upconverting DVD player now, and I think it it looks best at 480p. Would love to try the HD-A1. Maybe look for a used one to try out.

What is also interesting is that second generation HD-DVD players are coming to market where first generation Blu-Ray players are not really here yet, or just barely.
    -curtis

For those of you interested, I got this in the email today from eCost.com

HD-A1 for $395...brand new.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=707060
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    For those of you interested, I got this in the email today from eCost.comHD-A1 for $395...brand new.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=707060
    Saw that. Things should really get interesting during the holiday shopping season. I'm expecting the HD-A1 to become a loss leader at some point.

David

I'm sitting still at the moment, but I have to say - if I had the extra cash I'd think about doing it. I will have a very hard time resisting once a real solid player comes out (Looking forward to see if Oppo comes out with something).
    Jon O.

I wish I could have joined this earlier but I have owned the toshiba since the first available day, in Alaska I think we were 4 days off launch . But I have a toshiba 720 p dlp and with all the firmware upgrades the video and the audio have been an extreme difference . Now the audio does support 5.1 DD+ but you must use the analog cables and you must have a supported movie and after the movie starts you must go to the audio setup and change it to + . The upscaling is actually better than my friends $3000. Denon he is quite upset he didnt take the time to wait for it . The only glitch I have had is that the LFE is a bit lower on some movies and you must simply add a couple dbs to your levels and be sure to move them back for any other source . And for the new lower price you cant beat this deal , and with the PS3 release next month you will have Bluray and HD-DVD for less than the price of the cheapest bluray now . So I really dont care who wins because If you have both then you always win .

Another thought - when TV shows on DVD (like Battlestar Galactica, all those HBO shows, etc) start coming out on hi-def optical....then I definitely won't be able to resist.

I'm also very curious how competent of a player the Xbox 360 dongle will be...
    Jon O.

Eddie and Scottkelly,

Thanks for the replies. I just scored an open box RCA HDV5000 for $159.00 from Walmart, thanks to a post on AVS forums. Had to drive to Reading, PA to get it, but it should be worth it. I hope to hook it up tonight, no HD-DVD's yet to test out so I'll just check out the upscaling.

I did some comparisons the other night to test out the upscaling ability of the player with a few discs that we have 2 copies of in the house. RCA hooked up via HDMI and upscaled to 1080i and my old Toshiba 3950 hooked up via component at 480p. I synched the players to quickly compare the same scenes and I really like the upscaling for SD-DVD's on the RCA. I have read some people calling it an "HD lite" effect and I agree. The upscaled pic had more depth and sharper colors. The Toshiba looked washed out. Still waiting for an HD-DVD from Netflix, first one will be "Goodfellas".

So this last past week I have seen some HD-DVD demos. I went to the AVS after party at the EHExpo in Long Beach, CA where they showed the new high-end JVC projector and the acoustically transparent SmX screem with the Toshiba HD-DVD player. Since I don't know video that well......all I can say is "WOW!!".

Tonight, I went to Microsoft's HD-DVD demo they had a The Grove in Los Angeles. They had a special two-hour event for AVS members. They talked about the technology as well as showed demos.....the sound and video were very nice. The sound was all Harmon Company stuff...Lexicon, Revel....very nice. Video was a high-end Marantz projector and Toshiba player. Again, the quality of the video was scary good.

I am ruined as far as video is concern.....I won't be able to have stuff like that for a long time...if ever.
    -curtis

The HD-A1 shows a fabulous picture, no doubt.
    Mine is acting up right now, it'll play DVDS and CDS, but it won't recognize HD DVDS (says- No Disc ).
    I need to call Toshiba and get an RMA...

Its a quirky machine, but sound is great through the 5.1 analog outs.

Open Box RCA for $159 !!
    If that thing works properly, that is a SERIOUS steal, even if it has problems, ya still have the warranty, so in essence you got a $500 player for 159....
    Sweet!!
    Wasting $ on garbage is like challenging a dragon with a pocket knife....