Thread: Hd-dvd

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

For those of you interested, I got this in the email today from eCost.com

HD-A1 for $395...brand new.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=707060
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    For those of you interested, I got this in the email today from eCost.comHD-A1 for $395...brand new.
    http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?DPNo=707060
    Saw that. Things should really get interesting during the holiday shopping season. I'm expecting the HD-A1 to become a loss leader at some point.

David

I'm sitting still at the moment, but I have to say - if I had the extra cash I'd think about doing it. I will have a very hard time resisting once a real solid player comes out (Looking forward to see if Oppo comes out with something).
    Jon O.

I wish I could have joined this earlier but I have owned the toshiba since the first available day, in Alaska I think we were 4 days off launch . But I have a toshiba 720 p dlp and with all the firmware upgrades the video and the audio have been an extreme difference . Now the audio does support 5.1 DD+ but you must use the analog cables and you must have a supported movie and after the movie starts you must go to the audio setup and change it to + . The upscaling is actually better than my friends $3000. Denon he is quite upset he didnt take the time to wait for it . The only glitch I have had is that the LFE is a bit lower on some movies and you must simply add a couple dbs to your levels and be sure to move them back for any other source . And for the new lower price you cant beat this deal , and with the PS3 release next month you will have Bluray and HD-DVD for less than the price of the cheapest bluray now . So I really dont care who wins because If you have both then you always win .

Another thought - when TV shows on DVD (like Battlestar Galactica, all those HBO shows, etc) start coming out on hi-def optical....then I definitely won't be able to resist.

I'm also very curious how competent of a player the Xbox 360 dongle will be...
    Jon O.

Eddie and Scottkelly,

Thanks for the replies. I just scored an open box RCA HDV5000 for $159.00 from Walmart, thanks to a post on AVS forums. Had to drive to Reading, PA to get it, but it should be worth it. I hope to hook it up tonight, no HD-DVD's yet to test out so I'll just check out the upscaling.

I did some comparisons the other night to test out the upscaling ability of the player with a few discs that we have 2 copies of in the house. RCA hooked up via HDMI and upscaled to 1080i and my old Toshiba 3950 hooked up via component at 480p. I synched the players to quickly compare the same scenes and I really like the upscaling for SD-DVD's on the RCA. I have read some people calling it an "HD lite" effect and I agree. The upscaled pic had more depth and sharper colors. The Toshiba looked washed out. Still waiting for an HD-DVD from Netflix, first one will be "Goodfellas".