Thread: Two choices!

Post Two choices!

So I selected my two bookshelf - sub combo for my family room (2-CBM-170 SE's w/ HSU VTF-2 MK)! I can not wait for them to arrive. My next room is a larger family room in a semi basement. It's a walk out basement and the media room area will be rather open (~35' X 18') This sound system will be dual function for music and movies. This will be my first foray into the 5.1 world!

Without starting all over, I may stay with the same two finalists from my 2.1 system - Ascend Acoustics and Axiom. Audio

Model: S33-25
    Description: CMT-340 SE front pr + CMT-340 SE center + CBM-170 SE surround pr + VTF-3 MK2 sub
    $1808.00

vs.

the Axiom 50 . 175
    $1862.00

I would love to hear thoughts from people that have made similar decisions or maybe just Ascend vs. Axiom as products. Obviously I will know more from a pure music perspective in a week or two.

Thanks

With a room that big I would go with a larger sub like the HSU VTF3 HO. As far as ascend vs. axiom I think you will fall in love with the 170's and you will be back for more. IMO the ascemds are a much more neutral speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob C
    With a room that big I would go with a larger sub like the HSU VTF3 HO.
    I believe there's some issues with the HO. Won't be available for awhile if I understand the situation correctly.

David

Yeah, the first batch of drivers they recieved were not to spec. There is also quite a waiting list.

Aladinsan,

If you do a Google search for Axiom speakers, you'll likely find a link to audioreview.com which is comprised of consumer reviews. Like the Ascends, the Axiom speakers also have mostly very favorable reviews though unlike the Ascends, they also have a few negative reviews and the negative reviews all seem to criticize them for being excessively "bright."

Now, "bright" or "warm" are very subjective terms and reflect subjective individual preferences. The consensus on the Ascends is that they are "neutral" but some people actually prefer "bright" and others actually prefer "warm."

Only way for you to figure out which is better for you is to order a single pair of the Axiom speakers that are equivalent to the Ascend 340s that you are considering, and AB them against a pair of the 340s during your 30 day trial period. Then send back the pair you like less and order the rest of the speakers from the brand that you preferred. You'll be out maybe $30 in UPS charges but that's a small price to pay for dead certainty.

Question Thank you for the excellent advice!

For a HT in the 800.00 range, there is also the Athena Pt 5 MK II. Has anyone auditioned them?

Question I was looking at putting something in the kids TV room!

....and noticed this setup cheap!

Room size - 13 X 10

hands down....for $600, Hsu Ventriloquist VT-12 and STF-2 subwoofer.

I set one up in my Parents' family room and have no regrets. They have a full Ascend/Hsu setup in the livingroom.

http://www.hsustore.com/vt12.html
    -curtis