Thread: LFE Crossover Problem?

Default LFE Crossover Problem?

Hi Guys,

I've got my ref 20/ ref 4430 with my new Ascend 170 SE's installed, and finally got a decent sub. I have all the speakers set to small. When running a test CD, I'm getting sound out of the fronts all the way down to 50 hz. The ref 20 has no lfe cutoff freq; only sub off, on, or ultra. I've tried all the settings and still get 40-50 hz signal out of the fronts. B&K said the crossover is fixed at 80hz but obviously it isn't.

Any ideas on what's going on?

thx

bob

Quote Originally Posted by steelgtr
    Hi Guys,

I've got my ref 20/ ref 4430 with my new Ascend 170 SE's installed, and finally got a decent sub. I have all the speakers set to small. When running a test CD, I'm getting sound out of the fronts all the way down to 50 hz. The ref 20 has no lfe cutoff freq; only sub off, on, or ultra. I've tried all the settings and still get 40-50 hz signal out of the fronts. B&K said the crossover is fixed at 80hz but obviously it isn't. Any ideas on what's going on?
    The crossover is not a brickwall. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    The crossover is not a brickwall. How are you measuring and what are the numbers?

David

I'm playing test tones as low as the 170's can play, changing speaker setting from small to large, sub on/off/ultra and I can't hear any difference in the 170's at any freq. I know about the slope function but there is no difference all the way down! I have a meter but haven't used it because there is not even the slightest audible drop no matter what I try.

thx

bob