Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SPL meter and Avia Disc for dummies?

Default Idiot Here....

I had a hard time with them (RS-SPL and AVIA). I wasn't sure what I was looking for. I haven't had the time to post an official thread yet:

The way I see it, if everyone says to get the disk, get it. Learn it after you buy it. There are enough people on here to eventually break through the coarse layer of skin around my skull that seems to inhibit me from fully grasping the HT concept. If they can teach me, they can teach anyone.

If the disk and meter seem like they are too much for you to spend, then most likely they are. If you can afford to spend $50 on something that you'll never really need, go for it. The worst case scenerio is, you realize you are too lazy to really care. The way I see it, save your $50 when looking for a wedding ring or baby toys. It's not like they really get used anyways. At least with the disk and meter, your wife can't complain because you're always out. You'll be too busy moving your speakers around for a couple of weeks to actually go anywhere! Besides, you can always measure the range of your wife's/girlfriend's voice. What could be more fun than that?

Default Your right!

Your right...I'm definately worried that i'm going to spend the cash to get this stuff..and when i get it..have no idea what the hell i'm doing with it. So i'm confused as to direction i should take.

I guess my point of view is that if you're spending $1000+ bucks on HT audio plus whatever you're spending on the TV and DVD player, it's worth well more than the cost of the DVD and meter to make sure it's set up right.

Here's what I recommend you do: go and rent the video. If the instructions are straight-forward enough that you're comfortable, go buy the SPL meter too. If not, then you're only out the cost of renting the video (could be nothing if you have Netflix/Blockbuster online) and maybe you can do some of the video calibrations anyway (the ones that don't require the color filter card).

It's the lowest risk scenario (other than borrowing the disc from a friend) that I can think of.

Sounds like a good plan..just hope the video stores near me have it!!

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    I thought new speakers were always included with new furniture. Are the 340SE's on order?

David
    Not yet David. Still working the WAF. Thanks to you I have Nick as a collaborator. You know how it is, the TIMING has to be just right. She'll be ripe for the pickin's when she gets her end.

EDIT- Come to think of it, I will have already been picked. Dang wifey!
    Last edited by JeffD2; 03-30-2006 at 08:09 PM.