Thread: Ascend 170 SE vs. B&W ?

Default Ascend 170 SE vs. B&W ?

Hi Guys,

First post here, honestly looking for some advise. After hearing my brother's B&W CDM 9 NT's and matching center, and auditioning B&W's at my local dealer here in San Jose, I have always thought they would be the speaker for me. I have also been aware of Ascends and all the great reviews for a few years on the internet. Something keeps telling me I should just try them first and see. (I have no opportunity to audition them)

My current speakers are old Klipsch Heresy's from the '70's and a Klipsch kg 2.2V center which even with my new B&K ref. 20/ 4430 combo sound too laid back.

I know the Ascends are in a totally different price category than the B&W's but wondered if anyone here has owned or auditioned both and might have some helpful advise for me? BTW, I'm talking Ascend 170's vs. a comparable 2 way B&W bookshelf like the CDM 1 SE's or equvalent.

Thanks!

bob

I've auditioned many different B&W bookshelf speakers, the 805, 705, 600, 601, 602, 303, CM, and FPM series. Out of all of them, the only ones that I really liked were the 700 series. Compared to Ascends CBM-170, they were good, but not well over $1000 better IMO. I'm a realtively new Ascend customer, and what I've found is, for what sounds good to my ears, the only speaker brand that gives Ascend a run for your money is NHT. But that might not even be true anymore now that the SuperAudio line is dead and replaced with the substantially more expensive Classic line.
    Living Room: L/R CBM-170's; CMT-340C; HTM-200 rears; SVS PB-10isd; Yamaha RX-V757; Sony VLP-HS20 w/an 84" screen

Bedroom: L/C/R/LR/RR HTM-200's; HSU STF-1; NAD L73; Sony Bravia 32" LCD

Stereo:L/R NHT SB2's; HSU STF-1, NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp, NAD C521BEE CD player, NAD C422 Stereo Tuner

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA
    I'm a realtively new Ascend customer, and what I've found is, for what sounds good to my ears, the only speaker brand that gives Ascend a run for your money is NHT. But that might not even be true anymore now that the SuperAudio line is dead and replaced with the substantially more expensive Classic line.
    I have not heard the SuperAudio line, but I did get to spend a fair amount of time with Classic Twos in my setup. Definitely different than the Ascends, and this was confirmed to me by someone that also demo'd the Twos and came to my place to listen to my classic 340's.

As for B&W's, a couple of years ago myself and a few others listenned to CDM7NT's, Paradigm Studio 60's, and my CMT-340's at a locsl shop. One of the guys was shopping for speakers, two others came along for a listen, and I was the only Ascend owner. We all felt the Ascends in the least, held their own in everything but bass extension. The guy shopping for speakers ended up with Ascends and a Hsu STF-2. I believe that CDM line was replaced by the 700 line.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    I have not heard the SuperAudio line, but I did get to spend a fair amount of time with Classic Twos in my setup. Definitely different than the Ascends, and this was confirmed to me by someone that also demo'd the Twos and came to my place to listen to my classic 340's.

As for B&W's, a couple of years ago myself and a few others listenned to CDM7NT's, Paradigm Studio 60's, and my CMT-340's at a locsl shop. One of the guys was shopping for speakers, two others came along for a listen, and I was the only Ascend owner. We all felt the Ascends in the least, held their own in everything but bass extension. The guy shopping for speakers ended up with Ascends. and a Hsu STF-2. I believe that CDM line was replaced by the 700 line.
    I havent had a chance to listen to the NHT Classic line yet, but I have a pair of SB2, and I love them, but, theyre currently collecting dust, and probably will be for some time.
    Living Room: L/R CBM-170's; CMT-340C; HTM-200 rears; SVS PB-10isd; Yamaha RX-V757; Sony VLP-HS20 w/an 84" screen

Bedroom: L/C/R/LR/RR HTM-200's; HSU STF-1; NAD L73; Sony Bravia 32" LCD

Stereo:L/R NHT SB2's; HSU STF-1, NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp, NAD C521BEE CD player, NAD C422 Stereo Tuner

Thanks, Guys

My 170 SE's ship today If they ar even close to the 700, or CDM NT series B&W's, I will be in heaven. I didn't order a sub yet; I wanted to see how 3 170 SE's across the front sound first with my new B&K Ref 20/ 4430 combo

thx

bob

psAVID: Please fix my user name !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1