Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: System Components, do I need anything else?

Quote Originally Posted by BradJudy
    I have to disagree on some of the thoughts on power conditioning. If you know you have noisy power from the source or have items like flourecent lights, dimmer switches, or some other types of devices on the same circuit, power conditioning can certainly make an audible/visible difference. This is an area that is well understood (use of capacitors and inductors to filter out high frequency noise and any DC voltage much like in a speaker crossover) and easily measured/demonstrated.

Of course, if you don't have such problems, you probably won't notice any difference and none of us can say if you will.

If you want to save a bit of money on that item, a few places have had the Monster 3500MkII on closeout for a while. Onecall has it for $170 - http://www.onecall.com/ProductDetail...id=97&id=29477
    I agree with BradJudy on power conditioners/ac line filters. While not everyone may benefit from them, there are plenty that do. I lived in an older house that had ac issues. Just turning on my main power amp would make the lights go dim. Needless to say MY monster took care of them! I also live in monsoon country and have seen first hand what a good bolt of lightning can do to electronics devices, what was hooked up to the surge protector was saved, what wasn't fried! Also understand that the examples I am referring to were properly grounded per code as well. When that kind of juice wants to move...IT MOVES!! It seems to me a couple hundred bucks is cheap insurance to cover the thousands that I have invested in my HT stuff.

A follow up on my opinion on power conditioners. As i said I think it is debatable how useful they are. I am sure their are instances where they help (like some noted above), but I think in most cases it will not make a difference. Almost all electronics have some built in power conditioning (if nothing else then in the way it converts ad to dc). Unless the original poster for sure knows that they have a problem with the quality of electricity, it seems a waste of money that could go into your root system (which of course is where your most bang for the buck in sound enhancements come from).

Certainly you should be sure that your power is properly grounded and that you use a surge protector on your equipment.