Thread: Prospective Ascend owner

Default Prospective Ascend owner

First of all, having spent about fifteen hours in the past few days reading the forums, I want to thank all of you for your highly educational (and often amusing) discussions. At 64 my knowledge of audio is breathtakingly limited. So, your comments have been most helpful. I would like to purchase the Ascend 170SEs with the Hsu VTF-2 MKII. My questions: I presently use the NAD C372 integrated amp (2x170W @ 8 ohms). Is it possible to connet the sub to my amp? (I've read the manual for my amp repeatedly; mostly I don't understand it; no references to a sub connection at all.) Also, is my amp's power capabilites satisfactory for also the 170s and the sub? Thank you for your time.

Hi Harold, yes you can use your sub with your amplifier. I personally would suggest running your speaker cables from your amplifier to the subwoofer speaker level inputs, and then connecting your speakers to the speaker output terminals on the sub. This will allow you to filter the low frequencies from the audio signal before they ever reach your speakers. The sub you want to use has a built in crossover that you can adjust to your liking as well. This will allow you to determine just how much bass is sent to your main speakers, while the sub handles everything below the frequency you set. And yes, 170wpc will be more than adequate to power this set up.

Living Room: L/R CBM-170's; CMT-340C; HTM-200 rears; SVS PB-10isd; Yamaha RX-V757; Sony VLP-HS20 w/an 84" screen

Bedroom: L/C/R/LR/RR HTM-200's; HSU STF-1; NAD L73; Sony Bravia 32" LCD

Stereo:L/R NHT SB2's; HSU STF-1, NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp, NAD C521BEE CD player, NAD C422 Stereo Tuner

Many thanks Chris for your kind and helpful response -- and especially the picture since I've never seen the back of a sub in my life!

I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get this all up an running
    Jon O.

I have a similar set up and as a result, a similar question.

I am using a Rotel integrated Amp for my 170 SE's (1061? or something like that.) and an HSU VTF-2 mk2 Sub. The Rotel has a stereo pre-out. What I did was to connect two very good (and expensive) Monster Sub cables from the Rotel's pre-out to my VTF-2 mk 2's left/right RCA connections.

Is it better to use all speaker cables. Should I scrap this set-up and go to all speaker wires to the sub and then to the Ascends?

Does putting the speaker wires direct to the sub and thento the 170's degrade that nice clean midrange?

Thanks.

Thanks, Jon for your encouraging comments. It has been a tough decision. In Nov. 03 I purchased my NAD amp and Nad CD player along with a pair of Klipsch Ref 7s. To play the speakers at very moderate levels I found the sound to be apocalyptic in my small living room/dining room combo (11 X 23). I have thousands of cds, but found I played my music only on a $60 portable player; the Klipsch speakers have been played to date less than 30 hours. I don't have much money so this has been very distressing. Reading postings and reviews of Ascends make me confident that I'll be quite happy to be an owner of them. Rifmon: Sadly, I'm too uninformed to reply to your questions but I'll be interested in the response of others.
    Thanks for your help guys.
    Harold

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon
    I have a similar set up and as a result, a similar question.

I am using a Rotel integrated Amp for my 170 SE's (1061? or something like that.) and an HSU VTF-2 mk2 Sub. The Rotel has a stereo pre-out. What I did was to connect two very good (and expensive) Monster Sub cables from the Rotel's pre-out to my VTF-2 mk 2's left/right RCA connections.

Is it better to use all speaker cables. Should I scrap this set-up and go to all speaker wires to the sub and then to the Ascends?

Does putting the speaker wires direct to the sub and thento the 170's degrade that nice clean midrange?

Thanks.
    Ahh.. I would say use what ever sounds best to you. I personally prefer using the crossover in the sub. I dont have any of my equipment hooked up this way right now, but I have in the past and havent noticed any degradation of the audio signal, obviously this would depend on the quality of components involved. Good luck.
    Living Room: L/R CBM-170's; CMT-340C; HTM-200 rears; SVS PB-10isd; Yamaha RX-V757; Sony VLP-HS20 w/an 84" screen

Bedroom: L/C/R/LR/RR HTM-200's; HSU STF-1; NAD L73; Sony Bravia 32" LCD

Stereo:L/R NHT SB2's; HSU STF-1, NAD C320BEE Integrated Amp, NAD C521BEE CD player, NAD C422 Stereo Tuner