Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 170's or 340's for 2ch music only with sub.

Here is another perspective, I had the chance of comparing 170 classics vs. 340SEs:

Just for reference, I have a small space to fill - the room is 14x16 opening to kitchen, but the seating area is 7' from the speakers. I had been listening to the 170s for about a couple of months and then got the 340SEs and the first thing I noticed was the bigger soundstage, particularly the vertical dispersion was really high.
    Also, the presentation was a little more forward. The imaging was also much better but this may be due to the corner placement of the speakers (maybe the 340s handle this better).

One more thing I had both the 170s and 340Ses on 24" stands. With the 170s I feel, they perform better with 30" stands as the voices seemed to be coming from below the TV with 24" inch ones.

I don't know how much of the above is a result of SE vs. classic, but if not anything else I definitely preferred the bigger soundstage even in the smallish space.

dorz11 Guest

Based on my recent experience if your just going for 2ch music I would get the 340s and skip the sub. I recently got the 170SEs and the HSU VTF-2.

Maybe its me but the sub is not that much of an adder to the 2 ch music experience. Most of my listening is at nominal levels. The HSU VTF-2 I got doesn't really get going until I'm in the -35dB range. It starts making impact at -30 and up. It also takes some getting used to. While its not directional in the sense it is a different feeling of bass if you were used to two speakers from the past. I think for stereo listening your better off spending the extra money on the bigger sounding 340s instead of the 170s and sub combo.

If you plan to do any movie watching with these the sub is a must. The HSU comes alive with the LFE on many movies, its rather amazing! I'm not much of a movie watcher but figured one day I would migrate that way. But everytime I put a DVD in I'm suprised by the HSU. I'm usually watching and feeling it and then have the sensation of "where is that coming from?". Then i realize the HSU is over there pumping away!

Jim