Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fair price for classics

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    The 1050 is a very good unit and I really don't want to try replacing it with one of today's $400-$500 receivers, unless someone can attest to one of the new models being as good or better! Anyone??
    Define "as good or better."

David

I paid $499+shipping back in 2001, and it originally was $599. By as good or better I am referring to build quality, sound quality, amp performance and features. I have no use for the majority of DSP modes, like Yamaha poors into their receivers. When I first got it, it replaced a $1100 Marantz receiver rated at 110w, and the 1050's 65w blew it away!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

I am referring to build quality, sound quality, amp performance and features.
    The Pioneer receiver I bought in 1970 is still in use today. I've never had a receiver fail so I guess build quality is a tough term to define. What is "build quality?" Quality control is a real issue but there's no data to go on so I don't get too caught up in a few individuals having problems with a mass produced piece of equipment.
    I've never heard a quantifiable difference in analog amps that were working properly. The debate has gone on for decades and there is no end in sight.
    Amp performance is easy. Buy from companies with great retun policies. Get it home, turn it on and we have our answer. If 65w a channel gets the job done, I don't think you're going to have issues with power in most newer equipment.
    FEATURES. This is the biggie. Buy the unit that has all the features you want and don't look back.
    I gave up the search for the audio holy grail back in the late 70's. I really began to enjoy music a lot more after that. The equipment that is available today is so good that I sometimes forget what it was like (and the very high cost) way back when.
    My Panasonic XR 55 cost me $199. Best receiver I've ever owned and certainly one of the cheapest but it's not feature rich. Good luck and have fun in your search. If you're happy with the Outlaw, keep it. I'd trust Outlaw to make it right.

David

David, what characteristics make the XR55 the best you've owned? Sound quality....user friendly....flexibility? Can you select from several crossover points to accomodate different speaker setups? My 1050 has six selectable crossover points:60,80,100,120,150 & 200hz. The amp uses high capacity filter cap's and packs a nice punch.
    The 65watts is rated 3 channels driven simulataneously, and their new 1070 is rated 65watts all 7 channels driven.....too expensive for me though($899).

The only thing scaring me about the Panny is that it's so cheap and lightweight. Does it power a home theater setup and music system? I am naturally curious about it but I've read differing opinions ranging from poor to fantastic, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not doubting your opinion, just trying to filter out the garbage. I know Ascend sells HK and I believe Sherwood Newcastle, but those are higher cost than the Panasonic.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

David, what characteristics make the XR55 the best you've owned? Sound quality....
    Yes. SQ is a tough thing to quantify but I like what this unit produces. I used the Panny for approx. six weeks before putting my previous HT receiver (Kenwood 6060) back in the rack and I was able to detect a difference. I don't usually hear differences between receivers. Of course I don't ususally spend six weeks doing A/B'ing either.

user friendly....
    Not bad but it does have drawbacks. I can't do everything from the remote and that's a pain. Panasonic has never gotten remotes right. I don't know why.

flexibility? Can you select from several crossover points to accomodate different speaker setups? My 1050 has six selectable crossoverpoints:60,80,100,120,150 & 200hz.
    80 hz is as low as the Panny goes. If there was one feature that I'd like to change, this is it. For two channel, I'd like a 60hz option.

The 65watts is rated 3 channels driven simulataneously, and their new 1070 is rated 65watts all 7 channels driven.....too expensive for me though($899).
    Numbers have been published on the Panny. It isn't quite up to spec but it's close. Because my listening position is reatively near field (8 feet), I have no problems with power.

The only thing scaring me about the Panny is that it's so cheap and lightweight. Does it power a home theater setup and music system?
    You bet. I've really grown to appreciate the size & weight. My receiver is in the entertainment center and it's not easy to access the rear panel. The Panny has make that job much, much easier.

I am naturally curious about it but I've read differing opinions ranging from poor to fantastic, so I'm a bit skeptical. I'm not doubting your opinion, just trying to filter out the garbage. I know Ascend sells HK and I believe Sherwood Newcastle, but those are higher cost than the Panasonic.
    Based on the numerous reviews of the Panny, it's definitely not for everyone. The Panny does not have the features of the HK's or the SN. If those features are important to you, I'd pass on the Panny. Wish I could be more helpful.

David

The only thing scaring me about the Panny is that it's so cheap and lightweight.
    Both attributes come at least partially from the use of switching (aka. digital) amps - they are greater than 90% effecient (some greater than 95%), so they don't need big heatsinks or big transformers, both of which are add expense and weight.