Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fair price for classics

Default Fair price for classics

I'm looking at buying used classic 340M, 340C, and CBM-170s.

The same package, SE line, is $1184 shipped.

What would you pay for the classic line, used?

I really haven't seen many "tests" of the market on the Classic line. Ascends have been notorious for holding their value. I, myself, believe that the Classic line will hold value extremely well...which is bad if you're buying but is good if you are looking to sell. I'd expect to pay around 70-80% of original price(shipping costs included). If you can get them bought for less then jump on them. The Classics are fantastic.

Randy
    Last edited by Lou-the-dog; 03-20-2006 at 07:09 PM.

I believe a pair of 170s go for around 240 to 275 shipped, 170Cs go for around 120 shipped. The 170s hold their value a little better (they are cheaper, so its only natural), and I've seen the 340s (pair) go for around 450 shipped, and the center 280-shipped.

In general, its around 80-85% of the original value. They hold their value very well, but part of the reason I believe is the very low supply of used Ascends available (most are happy with them, unless they are upgrading to crazy DIY or Revel systems...)

From what I've seen, a comparative brand like Axiom sees about 67% of its value used online (eBay, craigslist, audiogon). Some others I've looked at--NHT is around 50-55%, but its possibly spurred by the new Classics. Paradigm seems to hold its value *very* well, despite high supplies...80% of msrp is very common.

I've seen Classics on Barret-Jackson go for many times their original cost!!
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Quote Originally Posted by Mag_Neato
    I've seen Classics on Barret-Jackson go for many times their original cost!!
    LOL!
    That's where I'll be posting mine.

David

I think the real question is do you want to go hunting for deals and take a long time putting a system together for ~$950, or pay $1,184, a $234 difference, for better SEs.

It's a personal call on what it is worth to save a few bucks vs. personal time to search/wait for bargains. For me, I'd almost rather just order a new pair of 170SE's than send mine in for upgrade to avoid the extra time and effort of shipping them to Ascend. But I love my babies and want to give them a fresh start!!
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6

To cut costs, I was planning to get the classics and not get the upgrades. I've never heard them in person, but I'm thinking that I'll be happy with the classics?

I currently have Athena AS-F2s, AS-C1, and AS-R2s.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson73
    To cut costs, I was planning to get the classics and not get the upgrades. I've never heard them in person, but I'm thinking that I'll be happy with the classics?
    With the introduction of the SE's, I think the Classics have been, at least temporarily, somewhat devalued. This could turn out to be a good thing for bargain hunters. Used Ascend's have held value extremely well. It made buying the speakers used a good deal for the seller but not such a good deal for the buyer. With the introduction of the SE's, the buyers of the classics will pay much less a premium than previous. It'll be interesting to see how the used market evolves for the classics.

David

Well, my upgrade plans just got altered. My trusty Outlaw 1050 is acting up and may have to be sent to the Outlaw's hideout for diagnosis and repair. Considering they estimated $35 shipping each way plus an estimate of $50-$100 for the repair depending on what's wrong, I could be looking at $175......so much for my SE upgrade

The 1050 is a very good unit and I really don't want to try replacing it with one of today's $400-$500 receivers, unless someone can attest to one of the new models being as good or better! Anyone??
    Ed

* (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6