Thread: HT receiver for under $150?

Default HT receiver for under $150?

Hey all - I have a friend who is in the market for a HT receiver, but he doesn't want to spend more than $150 for it. I recommended the Panny XR55, but he really doesn't want to "splurge" for it. He's not a huge audiophile by any means, so it doesn't have to be anything fancy.

I can get him a refurbed Onkyo TX-SR303 within his budget. I've also seen a Sony STR-DE598 for around $150. My only hesitation with the Onkyo is that it only comes with a single digital optical-in (and a co-ax digital in) while he has two components (satellite & DVD player) with the digital optical-in. Reviews for the Onkyo seem to be ok.

Any opinions on either of these two receivers or any other recommendations? I'm almost tempted to sell him my current receiver (Pioneer VSX-409) for around $100 and upgrade to the Panny myself.

Any name brand receiver will be fine. Just get one that has the features you need and buy from someone who's authorized to fix a problem if one should arise. Definitely consider refurbs from an authorized reseller.

David

I am with David on this.

Have a look at the inexpensive Sherwoods. At CES 2005, I think Dr. Hsu used one he bought for $99 to handle his demo room.
    http://sherwoodusa.com/am_cat_av.html

Also, you selling him yours and you getting the Panny seems like a good idea too.
    -curtis