Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Ascends Arrival/CBM-170

I'd say, go w/ 340C SE if budget/space permits. The 340C classic's already great for HT & music for me, I'd imagine the SE's worth it too. When inquiring about what to get for my system a while back, getting the 340C over the 170 was one of the "without-a-doubt" choices from the Ascend guys. Of course, you might think they'd say that because it means more $ in their coffers. But, they didn't push the bigger/better options in the rest of my system, so I think they make very honest recommendations.
    Last edited by BGHD; 03-19-2006 at 01:32 PM.

I agree!

Moehop,

Hey, I bought the original 170s with the 340c as center and it's an excellent set-up. I haven't heard the 170SEs so can't say how much of a step up but I suspect it's an improvement.

Now, as to an amp. When I bought the system, I was running a Denon 3803 and I recently added an Adcom 7607, a little more power but much better, cleaner power. It was the equivalent of lifting a veil off the 170s. The sound, especially bass in 2 channel, was much better and the mids and highs, already very good, became stronger and more detailed.

So, if I were to make a recommendation, I'd say try the amp route first and see what happens before you go to a 340SE center. Good luck, Dave.