Thread: 5.1 setup...which center & rears

Default 5.1 setup...which center & rears

i recently started piecing together a 5.1/stereo setup. i bought some cbm 170 se's to go along with my hsu stf-2 sub. my center now is a cheap satelite i had sitting around. right now im running it as 3.1 or stereo.

im looking at buying the center next. i think im going to buy a "cmt 340 se" center. after that i will probably buy "htm-200's" for rears. will this be a good combo for a medium sized room? would i be better served adding another 170 se for the center?

any help on which combination of speakers to use for a 5.1 setup would be usefull.

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    would i be better served adding another 170 se for the center?
    Depends. How will the center be placed? I'd vote for the 340 in most situations but there are always exceptions.

"will this be a good combo for a medium sized room? "

Good dosen't begin to describe this combo. Very, very good is starting to get warm.

David

the center will be placed atop a entertainment center about 5 feet above the floor. the 170's are 3 feet off the floor. if that helps you?

Quote Originally Posted by kinggimp82
    the center will be placed atop a entertainment center about 5 feet above the floor. the 170's are 3 feet off the floor. if that helps you?
    It does help. No question in my mind that a 340 is going to be the best solution. It was designed for this type of set-up.

David