Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comparing to Boston VR3 and CSW T500 towers

Steve,

I've read and seen your Sonosub. Wondering if you can give me more details such as the total cost (for 1), BOM, plan, and as much info as possible?

I think it may fit into my listening room quite well.

Thumbs up

You got a good deal on the VR3s and VRC for $1250. I got VR3s and a VR1 for about the same amount, using the VR1 as my center. Your decision makes sense, esepcially since you've already compared the Vr3s against other speakers.

As for my sub, the Avalanche 18 is no longer available, so building a direct replica of my sub isn't possible, but I can suggest another sonosub design using the SoundSplinter RLp 15, or if you are not in a hurry, one for the Ascendant Alliance 18 when/if it ever gets released. Peformance of the Avalanche was a bit above these other two drivers, but you'll still be in the range of killer bass, better than a commercial offering for the same price. With a room that large, you may want to build two.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I've found a number of Sonosub implementations on the net. Some based on 12" Shiva speakers. One quick question: is sonotube sturdy enough for this type of application? It appears to be made of paper and may have a lot of interactions with the speaker during operation. Or maybe the design count on this interaction?

Also, checked out SVS PC Ultra ($1150). Wondering if you could give me a cost and performance comparison of your or other comparable Sonotube.

Thanks.

Sonotube is actually a pretty ideal material for a subwoofer enclosure because with end caps in place, it simply won't flex (a circle has no edges, so the force is exerted on the entire area evenly), you can get lots of volume while only taking up a small footprint if you are willing to go tall, and you can get lots of volume without the sub being extraordinarily heavy. That said, my sub is definitely well over 150s, but a comparable box would probably be >400lbs.

For $1150, you could do a whole hell of a lot of damage, much more than any commercial offering will give you. How big are you willing to go?