Thread: About to pick...

Default About to pick...

I'm tyring to finally make up my mind...

1) a new receiver, either an HK 635 or 440 to power my existing Athena speakers.

2) a 170/340/170 setup for my front sound stage.

The 635 can be had for $650, the 440 for $799. The speakers cost $650 as well. What to do... The 635 looks like it's better than the 440 to me. It does not switch HDMI or have iPod link. But that's all.

Decisions decisions...

I think the x40 HK line has the ability to EQ two subs as well, plus a significantly upgraded processor (could be wrong about the latter). If you ever plan to do stereo subs, that's a pretty killer feature. I bet if you give it another couple months, the prices on the 440 will drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory05G35
    I'm tyring to finally make up my mind...
    1) a new receiver, either an HK 635 or 440 to power my existing Athena speakers.
    2) a 170/340/170 setup for my front sound stage.
    Athena and Ascend are voiced quite different. If you're looking to make a diffenence in sound, The Ascend's will do that much better than a new receiver.
    If you need features that the your current receiver dosen't have more than a difference in sound, then the HK's are a better choice.
    It's all about priorities.

David

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    I think the x40 HK line has the ability to EQ two subs as well, plus a significantly upgraded processor (could be wrong about the latter). If you ever plan to do stereo subs, that's a pretty killer feature. I bet if you give it another couple months, the prices on the 440 will drop.
    Actually, the only h/k receiver which can EQ two subs is the yet to be released very expensive AVR 740 (msrp $2999 USD). Also, the 440, 640, 740 and the older 435 and 635 all use the identical TI DA610 processor, although the 740 apparently will run it at a slightly higher clock speed.

Despite what some others have written, I'm very happy with my AVR 635, and I'm still using the original firmware. One should be aware that the new AVR 440 lacks the ability to process audio through its HDMI inputs, a rather strange decision on the part of h/k IMO (the 640 does have this capability). I wouldn't presume to tell Ivory05G35 what choice to make, but I certainly wouldn't try to talk him/her out of an AVR 635 for what seems like an excellent price.
    Last edited by GaryB; 03-13-2006 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    Actually, the only h/k receiver which can EQ two subs is the yet to be released very expensive AVR 740 (msrp $2999 USD).
    Yikes. Looks like I was way off on that one. I thought I had read that the whole new line had that feature.