Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Subwoofer connection question

Quote Originally Posted by ahof83
    I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I had another idea. My receiver has two sets of speaker connections on it, and it allows me use both at once. What if I hooked the sub up to one set and the speakers to the other? Will there be a difference between connecting this way and connecting the speakers through the sub?
    This would only be necessary if you had a passive sub. Since most subs anymore have integrated amplifiers, the speaker connections are used only for the signal. The SUB OUT of your receiver will have the same effect. It appears your best option is to use the SUB OUT RCA connection to the sub and wire the speakers directly to your receiver. This will require less wiring. The only drawback is no high-pass crossover for the mains, but you may not get that through the sub anyway (call HSU to be sure). Replacing your receiver down the road can add this ability. Rest assured even without a high-pass crossover, your system will sound much improved with the addition of a sub.

OK, here's my question; I am using a Rotel integrated Amp (1061? or something like that.) It has a stereo pre-out. At first, I used a Y adapter linked o a single sub cable, but it put the entire replay into Mono mode! So I went and got one of the higher end Monster Sub cables in stereo. In other words, I got 2. I connected them up to my VTF-2 mk 2 into the left/right RCA connections and sure enough, I have retained stereo while enjoying the nice added bass.

Now finally my question; I have the Sub crossover at 70 hz. Do I have it set up right? or do I need to scrap this set-up and go to all speaker wires to the sub and then to the Ascends?

Yes, you have it set up right. All you would gain from running speaker wires to your sub is a crossover for your mains, assuming your amp doesn't feature one already.

Yes, you have it set up right. All you would gain from running speaker wires to your sub is a crossover for your mains, assuming your amp doesn't feature one already.

Well, my amp does not have a built in crossover. It is an integrated amp with 2 sets of speaker wires and pre-outs. It does not have a dedicated Sub-Out so I guess I should use the line level speaker wires vs the RCA. Do I have that right?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rifmon

Well, my amp does not have a built in crossover. It is an integrated amp with 2 sets of speaker wires and pre-outs. It does not have a dedicated Sub-Out so I guess I should use the line level speaker wires vs the RCA. Do I have that right?
    Thanks
    Yes, that's right.