Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Subwoofer connection question

Default Subwoofer connection question

First off, let me say that I've had a pair of b-stock 170s for almost a year now and I love them. Right now I've got them cramped in a little bedroom on the sides of a tiny tv, but I'll be giving them some more room to breath and setting them along side a 30 inch hdtv when I move to a new apartment in a few months.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question (it's not specifically about ascend speakers). I have a HK-3480 stereo receiver and I'm hoping to get b-stock a Hsu Stf-1 sub. I've been wondering what the best way to connect the two is. I don't really know a ton about audio, but I do alot of research. I know that the most popular way to connect the sub would be to use an rca cable to the sub output on the receiver. If I do this, is there a way to set the crossover on the receiver? If I set the crossover on the subwoofer does that mean that it will only recieve the lower frequencies and still send the full range of frequencies to my 170s? What would be the difference in connecting the speakers to the sub rather than the reciever? Since they probably wont be very close to each other, are the longer speaker connections worth it?

Thanks, I hope my rambling made sense, let me know if you need anymore details or specifics

You are right, the preferred method is to connect the sub using the line level RCA sub output of the receiver. This makes it easier to blend the mains and sub using the receivers crossover and level adjustments. Unfortunately, the HK-3480 does not feature an adjustable crossover, so your mains will always be full-range when connected like this.

Since the 170's aren't full-range speakers, I would connect the line level speaker outputs of your receiver to the sub, then from the sub to your speakers. This will let you use the sub's crossover to limit the frequencies sent to your mains.

Thanks for the reply. So you're saying that with my receiver, I would have to run speaker wires from the reciever to the sub and a second set from the from the sub to the speakers? I'll have to figure out a good place to hide all the wires.

I noticed Hsu is pretty emphatic about only using the speaker connections of the sub if there is no sub out on the receiver, they even printed it on the back of the sub itself. Why is this? Is the crossover on the sub of a lesser quality than a reciever would have? Does anyone have their ascends hooked up through a subwoofer? Also, since I am currently sending all frequencies to my 170s, what will using the sub out sound like? Is there an undesired sound quality of having the speakers and the sub overlap a little on the lower sounds?

If the STF-1 is like my PSB, the speaker connections only keep the higher frequencies from the sub, in my case 80hz and above, but pass a full range signal through to the speakers. So, the speakers still receive a full range signal. Not the prefered method, but there if it is your only option. Hsu does make filters you can use to bypass this, and you can select the filter settings when ordering. It's $100 I think.
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Thanks for the info. I'm definately starting to realize how little I know about this subject. So, since my reciever has no crossover, I have to consider how to limit the lows going to the speakers AND the highs going to the sub? I guess my main dilema is price. I like the sound of my system now. Although it does lack bass, I was hoping the stf1 would give me a better overall sound at a great price. Adding another hundred dollars or so is not something I want to do unless its really necessary.

The sub's crossover will keep the lows out of it. Your 170's will get a full signal. Even so, the added low end will improve the sound and add weight/heft. At least you can add a sub now, and either upgrade your receiver or add a Hsu filter in the future to further improve things. Baby steps
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Some subwoofers do have a high-pass filter on the speaker level outputs, ask your sub maker if yours does.

Thumbs up

The STF-1 uses a low-pass crossover. Here's the spec:

Crossover: Continuously variable 30-90 Hz, defeatable, 24 dB/Oct.

You can download the user manual here: STF-1 Manual
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, but I had another idea. My receiver has two sets of speaker connections on it, and it allows me use both at once. What if I hooked the sub up to one set and the speakers to the other? Will there be a difference between connecting this way and connecting the speakers through the sub?