Thread: 340SE's vs. Onix Ref 1 vs. 340 Classics vs. Energy C-3's vs. MMG's.

Smile 340SE's vs. Onix Ref 1 vs. 340 Classics vs. Energy C-3's vs. MMG's.

I found this post on another forum. SEAS tweeter, yeah!

Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:08 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am inclined to mention the Ascend 340SE speaker. A few of us got together this weekend and did some A/B listening to various bookshelf speakers and we were all impressed with the 340SE. One of the speakers we did also compare was the Onix Ref 1 compared to the 340SE was a bit inefficient, which of course is not a bad thing but one to keep in mind in your case. We were never able to get a great A/B on the Ref 1 due to this but in my limited impression the Ref 1 didn't make me question the 340SE in any particular way, so of the Ref 1 is good the 340SE easily compares. I was so intrigued that I'm going back tomorrow to do a solo listen. Against every speaker the 340SE just seemed to lift an extra veil off the music and its top end stood out and presented with a better sense of clarity. We also did the A/B against the 340 classic and the difference was not subtle, again the top end and midrange just seemed more clear. The owner of a pair of Energy C-3's which where tested also noted the added clarity and openess of the 340SE. So on my second listen we'll see what my impressions are, and if I am still delighted I will get the owner to bring them over to play along side the MMG's I'm trying out and we'll see how that goes.

That was at a get together in south Florida. That person in particular, "launche", also has impressions here:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post7207689

As well as other people that were at the event.
    -curtis

I really like my 340SE's and it's nice to hear that my opinion has received support by a group A/B test. It' amazing that they were unanimously favored over the $1500 Ref. 1's. Audio shootouts sound like fun. (pardon the puns). I still need to optimize my setup ; build some speaker stands and work on room acoustics. A new Xr55 will arrive in a few days so I will be busy making all the connections and laying wire. I feel that the Ascends can really use power and make good use of ample headroom. A musical sub would be nice and get rid of that POS I bought for $100 on woot.

The Ref 1s do have a very high retail cost, but I suspect a very high amount of that goes to the finish. Even slightly visually impaired (B-stock) are sold for $750 directly by av123, which is a 50% reduction! It's not hard to find second-hand Ref1s for around $500 on Audiogon and eBay.

Given the amazing value of the Onix X-LS ($199, 60-20KHz +/- 1.8db, measures very close to the 170SEs for 57% of the price), I think its very hard to compare the Ref 1s and Ascend speakers if the Ref 1s are going to be used as the "much more expensive speaker for comparison". They are meant for significantly different people, where "finish" and "polish" are more the norm.
    Last edited by Asliang; 03-06-2006 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Asliang
    Given the amazing value of the Onix X-LS ($199, 60-20KHz +/- 1.8db, measures very close to the 170SEs for 57% of the price), I think its very hard to compare the Ref 1s and Ascend speakers if the Ref 1s are going to be used as the "much more expensive speaker for comparison". They are meant for significantly different people, where "finish" and "polish" are more the norm.
    AV is going to make a limited run of X-LS in the "premium" finishes for $229-$279. a pair. A far cry from the Ref. 1 in price so it's not the finish that constitutes the bulk of the additional cost.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    AV is going to make a limited run of X-LS in the "premium" finishes for $229-$279. a pair. A far cry from the Ref. 1 in price so it's not the finish that constitutes the bulk of the additional cost.

David
    If the X-LS is charging $80 for the Ref 1 finish, then yes, that analogy would hold.

That meet in South Florida was held at my house with my 340SE's. We used an old Crown SL2 preamp and a Behringer EP2500 amplifier (450 w/channel) for all tests with my own home built A/B switcher. The differences were dramatic between the Ref 1 and the 340SE. I had no idea that those speakers (Ref 1) were $1500.00 when we tested them! Yikes! Beautiful finish, made in China, but I will take my black box SE's any day! By the way, the listening was totally unscientific YMMV.

Chuck

Thanks for cross-posting that...I would have missed it otherwise. Interesting read.
    Jon O.