Thread: what rears to go with 340SE L,C,R

Question what rears to go with 340SE L,C,R

I like it loud. Could I get away with HTM-200's for the rears in a 7.1 setup? Or should I go with 170SE's?

Is this for 5.1, 7.1, HT only, or HT/surround music mix? How big is your room?

The 200 is great for 5.1 and 7.1 surround duty if you primarily want HT and/or smaller size. The 200 isn't as bulky as the 170, so IMO looks a bit cleaner wall mounted.

For a HT/music mix, or if you've got a larger room, I'd probably lean towards the 170. If you want 7.1, and music, you could always do the 170 for side surrounds and the 200 for the rears.
    -Jim

Arrow

7.1 Hometheater

What are the demensions of your room and how will the surrounds be mounted?

David

Quote Originally Posted by bikeman
    What are the demensions of your room and how will the surrounds be mounted?

David
    they would be mounted on the wall. but if i got the 170's i'm sure i could find mounting that would not put them right against the wall. the room dimensions will be changing soon. i will be moving in the next few months and don't have measurements.

If budget and mounting/positioning are not issues I'd probably choose the 170s which will be slightly a closer match to the 340s.

I plan on using the HTM 200's when I'm ready to order. They will save you some $ and everyone seems to like them for surround duty. I had been wondering the same thing about 200's/170's and it seems like I would always get the answer that 170's are overkill for surround duty unless: 1) you listen to a lot of SACD/DVD-A, 2) you are VERY particular about your tonal matching (I hear that the 200's are a good match, but not a perfect match).