Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2ch Setup - What speakers to audition

Default 2ch Setup - What speakers to audition

Okay, I'm getting closer to finally putting together a dedicated 2ch music setup in my living room. I have CBM-170's & CMT-340C classics downstairs in my dedicated home theater and I love the sound. Right now my tentative setup is:

Speakers: CBM-170SE's or CMT-340SE's, (maybe custom painted gloss black)
    Sub: Rocket UFW-10 (Maybe two in stereo if I feel it will be beneficial)
    Amp: Unsure, possibly a NuForce IA-7 or something along those lines, but no more expensive. Probably will do a Panny XR series amp as an interim solution.
    Player: Undecided, but under $500, possibly a Cambridge Audio 640C, midrange NAD, Rotel, Onix XCD-99, or a player like the Oppo with an outboard DAC.

Anyhow, I love the Ascend sound, but as I already have an Ascend setup, I'm interested in looking around at different options just for the heck of it. I know this is blasphemy, but I'm just curious what other people think would be worthy of auditioning. Since I'm interested in custom finishing even the 340s if I choose them, my budget is around $900 or so max (If I remember the cost correctly). The room is open with a high vaulted ceiling, opening to a hallway, entryway/stairs, dining room, and breakfast nook/kitchen. See the pic in my second post for the room, but the dimensions are roughly 18'x16', with a 12' vaulted ceiling. Any ideas?

If anyone has any thoughts on the other components I'd like to hear them as well.

So far I know I want to check out Monitor Audio, Paradigm, Boston, and I'd love to hear thoughts about ACI.
    Last edited by Jonnyozero3; 03-03-2006 at 08:41 AM.
    Jon O.

I love my classic 340s but have to say I was quite taken by another Internet-direct speaker that I had a chance to hear side by side with the 340s:

http://www.us.alegriaaudio.com/Emma.htm

While it can't match the Ascends' accuracy and neutrality, I found the Emma's huge soundstage, punch and dynamic presence very hard to resist. Additionally, the bass output is astounding...a test CD frequency sweep showed output all the way down to 20Hz! It does need a good 3-4 feet from the rear wall in order to avoid boominess however.

Just be aware that this will be a very different presentation of music than what you are used to with the Ascends. Two other Ascend owners who listened to the Emma with me preferred the Ascends. In a 2-channel setup without a sub, I'm afraid I'd be inclined to pick the Emma.

At the very least, well worth the $25-30 in return shipping if you dislike them.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/190255.html
    Last edited by Eddie; 03-02-2006 at 09:33 PM.

Dynaudio Audience series are also reputed to have a massive soundstage, although they are laid back speakers.

Default Check out the attached pic

Interesting Eddie, those look like a viable option. But, I might have a problem with boominess because I can't get the speakers out 3-4ft into the room. I think 2' will probably be my max - see the attached image. I still might check them out though.

Asliang - I'll put Dynaudio on my list as well. Not sure if anyone carries them around here.

I really don't want to start auditioning until I have upgraded my 170s and 340C to the SE version so I'll have a fair basis of comparison. We'll see. I probably won't be able to make myself wait.

Oooh, I forgot to add that I may use a Panny XR55/57 for an amp, at least in the beginning.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jon O.

A friend of mine has some Swans that I was impressed with for the price. To me at least they were reasonably neutral and very clear. Soundstage to me seemed a little small but that may of just been my friends setup which I have a feeling he has not played around with much (one of the things I encouraged him to do). They have a nice veneer finish to them as well.

I'd recommend looking at the Polk Audio LSi9. They're fairly heavy bookshelves, > 30 lbs each, and cost about $1000 new - perhaps you could haggle down to $900. If you're willing to buy used they can be had for under $600 at audiogon. The top, front, back, and bottom are finished in gloss black, the sides are your choice of ebony or cherry veneer - they look sharp IMO. They can go play without a sub in all but the largest rooms. They've got a very smooth, slightly laid back and easy to listen to sound with great dynamics, imaging and detail. I preferred them over the 340 and 170 classics enough that the price difference felt justified, but YMMV and I haven't heard the new SE's. You can audition the LSi series at HiFi buys. Actually I think I liked the 9's better than the more expensive floorstanding LSi15. Don't bother with the LSi7 - it's a rear channel speaker at best.

Also preferred the LSi to Paradigm Studio 100 V3's.
    Last edited by mulveling; 03-05-2006 at 08:03 PM.

Ascend and Polk are so different from each other that almost anyone will have an immeadiate preference. I'm not a fan of any Polk speaker but that dosen't mean that they're not a good speaker for someone else. Polk's priorities are different from mine. The Ascend's hit most of my hot buttons. The SE's may hit a few more but I haven't had the opportunity to hear them yet.

David

I liked the Polk LSi's the most of all the Polk speakers, but they are pricey and at 4 ohms will need a robust amp/receiver. I heard them at Tweeter running off a Yamaha rxv-1600 and they were very pleasant at moderate volumes, when cranked up the midrange kind of caved in on itself, and the bass became very distorted---my guess is the Yamaha wasn't up to it.

But I agree with David, they are a very different kind of speaker than the Ascends. I often recommend listening to the Focal 806 vs. the Polk LSi's at Tweeter to newbies as a way of figuring out what type of sound they prefer, these are diametric opposites IMO.

Very interesting. I've become a fan of the Ascend sound, but like I said, I wanted to explore options, if not just to further reinforce my initial gut decision (340SE's custom painted). I'm not sure if I can find these Polks around here, but I'll take a look. There aren't any Magnolia BB's here, but maybe one of the other local shops can help me out.

I wish there was a Monitor Audio dealer around here, I've heard a couple of them that I liked. Gold series I think @$1200/pair. Saysa lot about the CBM-170 (classic) doesn't it?
    Jon O.

I really like the MA Gold, and with the new GS series coming out, you can find the GR10 for aound $800, though at that price they are used from Audiogon