Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a budget!

Quote Originally Posted by rajacat
    Using your logic, I suppose really doesn't matter who designs the speakers because it is all subjective and there is no such thing as distortion because what may be distorted to one person might seem very acceptable to another.
    As David puts it, you're pushing this into the realm of absurdity but actually since we do after all live in a capitalistic economy that absurdity IS reality---meaning that if a team of monkeys working for bananas designed speakers constructed of dried grass that people were willing to top dollar for, then that's exactly what we'd have. There is no universal frame of reference---pricing and perceived quality all boils down to WHAT THE MARKET WILL BEAR.

And yes, many people do find some types of distortion to be pleasing---that's why tube amps and turntables are still around, let alone the continuing popularity of "warm" receivers and speakers.

No such thing as a vocalists being out of key because its all subjective and we all have different ears.
    LOL you must not be familiar with Bob Dylan. He's made a career being out of key.

Of course amplifiers and audience ambiance will affect the end product but aren't their influence on the CD anyway therefore more information for the speakers to reproduce?
    I'd say the speakers are only adding one more layer of coloration to the music that originally emanated from the artists and their instruments. It's just the type and extent of coloration that varies from speaker to speaker.

I believe there are musicians employed at Ascend, no? They would be an ideal source of reference to voice a speaker to sound live, don't you think?
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Part of Ascend's mission statement.

"Our mission is to manufacture high quality loudspeakers that reproduce the source material as accurately as possible, whether music or a soundtrack. This demands the use of low distortion, custom designed components combined with advanced crossover ......"

Part of Ascend's mission statement.
    "Our mission is to manufacture high quality loudspeakers that reproduce the source material as accurately as possible, whether music or a soundtrack. This demands the use of low distortion, custom designed components combined with advanced crossover ......"
    ?

David

That is a direct quote from Ascend's home page.

<I'd say the speakers are only adding one more layer of coloration to the music that originally emanated from the artists and their instruments. It's just the type and extent of coloration that varies from speaker to speaker.>

Eddie,

I agree. Would you agree that the speaker designer should, as a goal, try to eliminate all coloration thereby leaving the buyer to alter the color from a neutral base through room acoustics, different amps, bass/ treble knobs (ugh), equalization devices, etc.. I realize that there will never be a completely neutral speaker especially when designing within certain financial and market constraints but, to me, it is an admirable goal and philosophy.

That is a direct quote from Ascend's home page.
    I'm aware of that. What does it have to do with your argument??

David

Would you agree that the speaker designer should, as a goal, try to eliminate all coloration thereby leaving the buyer to alter the color from a neutral base through room acoustics, different amps, bass/ treble knobs (ugh), equalization devices, etc.. I realize that there will never be a completely neutral speaker especially when designing within certain financial and market constraints but, to me, it is an admirable goal and philosophy.
    It isn't something to agree or disagree upon.....it is a highly subjective matter. Some like added bass, some like tipped up highs, some like recessed midranges......and some like a combination of changes.

While most of us here like the sound that Ascend gives us, there others that don't.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    While most of us here like the sound that Ascend gives us, there others that don't.
    Yup.

David

Would you agree that the speaker designer should, as a goal, try to eliminate all coloration thereby leaving the buyer to alter the color from a neutral base through room acoustics, different amps, bass/ treble knobs (ugh), equalization devices, etc.. I realize that there will never be a completely neutral speaker especially when designing within certain financial and market constraints but, to me, it is an admirable goal and philosophy.

Well...yes.

Do I agree with the noble principle that Angelina Jolie should come sit on my face as soon as possible? Oh yes, absolutely!