Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a budget!

Default Advice on a budget!

Hi, i'm a newbie here as you'll probably notice.
    I've done a _lot_ of research as to which speakers i'm going to pour my money into. To some, $US500-1000 might not be alot to spend on speakers, but to me, $US300 is a fairly substantial investment.
    Having said that, if any of the reviews i've read are anything to go by, i'd be pretty happy about handing over the cash.
    Basically i've narrowed it down to either the Ascend CBM-170 or Axiom M3ti.
    Having read audioreview aswell as soundstage/goodsound/audioholics reviews i'm pretty sure i've done all I can bar actually auditioning them, which just isn't viable seeing as i'm in New Zealand. Cross referencing both this board and axiom's is as expected: The members of this are in favour of the ascend, and the members of the axiom board are in favour of... *gasp*, the axioms.
    What i'd really like to know is: What sort of SPL's can I expect from the CBM-170 without distortion or other nasty anomalies...and if anyone has experience with the M3tis, input would be much appreciated also.
    I don't listen to jazz or classical music, it's prodominantly rock, albeit many sub-genres of rock.
    2 weeks ago I had my heart set on the M3tis as they appeared to outclass the Paradigm atom/titans, PSB alphas and though probably not in the same class, polk RT38i....

Give me some direction!

I've never heard the M3Ti, but I have heard the M60's. I own classic 170's. Other than the bass I did not feel that my 170's lacked anything compared to them. I have chased my kids from the room playing the 170's at higher than normal SPL's, crossed over to a sub at 80hz! The SE versions are supposed to have even lower distortion and could play even louder if that is what you want. I have plenty of volume for music and movies in my 13'x 18'x 8' room hooked up to a Outlaw 1050 putting out 6 channels @ 65watts each.

I do have Axiom QS-8's for surround duty and love'em! They seem to blend very well with the 170's. I would not have these if I had not been fortunate enough to win them when Axiom put on a contest to name their new inwall/onwall speakers....."Architectural Series"
    Ed

* Sierra-2EX's W/V2 crossover upgrade
    * (2) Rythmik F12's
    * Parasound Halo P6
    * Audio by Van Alstine DVA-M225 Monoblock Amps
    * MiniDSP 2x4HD For Sub calibration
    *World's Best Cables Canare 4S11 speaker cables

Edit: opinion retracted after further reading.
    Last edited by sensibull; 03-02-2006 at 09:55 AM.

First....how big is the room where you will be using the speakers? Will you be using a subwoofer.

While some believe the use of a subwoofer is necessary with the CBM-170SE's, I don't. I really think it depends on the type of music you listen to.

The M3's on the otherhand have some add emphasis in the 100hz area, which helps give the perception of more extension, but really do not have any more extension than the 170SE's. For some, the added emphasis, alleviates the want/need for a subwoofer....for others, the speaker losses its balance.

For added reference, the M22 is the speaker that better compares to the "classic" CBM-170.
    -curtis

Well, the M22 is just above my budget :/
    The room where the speakers will be initially is my bedroom, which is rather small. I'd estimate it as 10X12X8'. However, from time to time, they'd be carted out into the living room which is considerably larger, even though i'm living in a flat. As for a subwoofer, initially i'd not be using a subwoofer, although in the not too distant future would be looking to add one.
    Something that worried me is seeing one or two posts saying that the axioms would lose their dignity when pushed hard...
    I'm a fan of loud music, but also love the quality. No cerwin vegas for me. Perhaps the axioms distort when approaching higher SPLs is because the woofer can't handle the lower frequencies yet is still trying to reproduce them. With a high pass filter on the speakers- either axiom or ascend, perhaps the overall SPL capacity would improve.
    If only the ascend wasn't the ugly duckling...

If only the ascend wasn't the ugly duckling...
    While not fine furniture, the CBMs have a very handsome, "functional" appearance and really look quite attractive on matching stands. I had concerns myself but was pleasantly surprised when I received them. My wife also has no qualms at all about their appearance in our family room. They look much better "in person" than in most photos.

The finish is also quite resistant to fingerprints, fine scratches, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jargon
    Hi, i'm a newbie here as you'll probably notice.
    I've done a _lot_ of research as to which speakers i'm going to pour my money into. To some, $US500-1000 might not be alot to spend on speakers, but to me, $US300 is a fairly substantial investment.
    Having said that, if any of the reviews i've read are anything to go by, i'd be pretty happy about handing over the cash.
    You might also want to look at the Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 too if you can find it down under, it's in the same price range, throws a huge soundstage and will IMHO sound better without a sub than the 170s, esp. if rock is your main staple.
    Not quite as neutral and accurate as the Ascends of course, but there are other attributes as well when considering speakers. Certainly not as bright as the Axioms. They are 6 ohm 86db sensitivity speakers so will require slightly better quality current to sound their best though.

Eddie...what if you want the recording to sound as it was intended?
    -curtis

Thanks for the comments guys.
    As for the wharfedales, i've heard alot of bad things about their newer stuff....comments along the lines which **** are receiving: poor quality of construction, cheap materials etc.
    I'd love to have a speaker which is as neutral and accurate as possible. If they don't have enough bass for my taste, i'd rather have the option of adding a sub at a later point, than be stcuk with mediocre speakers j ust to have bass.
    Wish I had the money to buy both, i'd be able to audition them both myself and send the ones back that seemed inferior. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by GaryB
    The finish is also quite resistant to fingerprints, fine scratches, etc.
    Good point. I'm setting up my first owned place on a relative budget (loft condo in San Diego), and I'm getting my bachelor-priorities straight (great, great sound) before the someday move-in ("No way," she might say). Ascends look good to me.