Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: We really need a 200SE

I'll post some ameteur impressions after I've had a chance to hear the new one sing.

When I had to downgrade from a 340C to an 200 for my center (due to an LCD purchase), I was no longer excited about listening to the SACDs/DVD-As I have (except using the high bitrate 2 channel mode) or using Logic 7 anymore. When you have 340SE's L/R, its no contest, 2-channel is the way to go. So, hopefully, it'll be enough of an improvement for me to occasionally like Logic 7/multi-channel audio again.

I do use a VTF-2 for bass, with an 80hz crossover for the 200s.
    Last edited by azanon; 10-18-2007 at 05:05 AM.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Surrounds - HTM200SEs (x4 in back, and x2 Atmos)
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Receiver - Onkyo TX-RZ1100
    Oppo Darbee Edition Blue Ray
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by azanon View Post
    I'll post some ameteur impressions after I've had a chance to hear the new one sing.
    This is going to be harder than I thought. I discovered that I had my Oppo 970 set wrong in the bass management (all speakers set to large instead of small), and that it matters on DVD-A's because the H/K doesnt bass manage when you use the analog "pass-throughs".

Solving that problem, I listened to a good majority of the Faith Hill Cry DVD-A. I'm just blown away by the sound quality, sitting in the sweet spot. Though I admit I haven't heard any REALLY expensive speakers, the thought I keep having with these Ascends is, "wow, that's just perfect". Aureal bliss really.

So, now, when I order any of these improved Ascend speakers, I just have to take Ascend at their word that these newer ones are even better. I'm afraid for an ameteur like me its just going to be perfect vs perfect. And on that note, I might need to start pretending my sound really isn't that great, especially in earshot of my wife, so that my words aren't used against me when I mention I might want Sierra's for Christmas!

The new HTM200SE C comes in tomorrow! I ordered 2 more DVD-A's so that I could hear it sing. I might end up having to turn all the other channels off to notice the difference.
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

My long lost friend, Dolby Prologic II Music is back!

Wow that's a great sounding speaker, David. I've been listening to Josh Groban (Awake) on it for about 45 minutes now, primarily in DPLII Music, but also switching to L/R which are my 340SE's (so I can compare, as I did before I swapped in the new CC). I love to use Josh to test speakers because of his awesome, powerful voice and incredible vibrato.

The obvious impression to me was that the speaker was creating a larger soundstage and seems to have more body; its just fuller sounding than the non-SE. And if I get ANY improvement with breaking in, then wow! Of course I am using a VTF-2 with an 80hz crossover, so I do have that support for the deep bass frequencies.

That is a lot of awesome sound from such a small speaker with no rear port!
    Sierra-1 - Mains+Center
    Sub - SVS PB-2000
    Sony 4K blu ray player

Quote Originally Posted by chas View Post
    If anyone is looking to buy new 200SE's instead of upgrading their old ones...I'm looking for a nice pair of classics:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/sho...5404#post25404

Just placed my order today for the 200SE's Can't wait to get them and replace my 200's (thanks Chas ) I'll post a small review after having them awhile.
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1

Can't wait to get them and replace my 200's (thanks Chas
    Looking forward to your "old" 200's ... and finally trying 7.1 !

Quote Originally Posted by davef View Post
    Same "SE" tweeter as CBM-170 SE and all new higher compliance "polygel" woofers with double the magnet strength. These new woofers took nearly a year to get just right, but they are fantastic. A full 20Hz drop in system Fo, resulting in deeper bass extension and MUCH better punch and dynamics. In fact, the impact and bass response is now very close to the "classic" CBM-170.
    Good evening,

Do the new 4" woofers have the same phase plug design as the 170,340 models?

thanks,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by va_taper View Post
    Do the new 4" woofers have the same phase plug design as the 170,340 models?
    Hi Chris,

The 4" woofers do not have phase plugs.

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Hi Dave, I don't suppose you happen to have any pictures of the new 200SE?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike^S View Post
    Hi Dave, I don't suppose you happen to have any pictures of the new 200SE?
    Hi Mike,

Not at this moment -- but coming very soon.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Thumbs up

Well I received my 200SE's on Friday and have been listening to them stricktly in surround mode. They are fantastic!!! Definately an improvement when listening to DVD-A SACD material. The 200 was a great surround speaker to begin with and now, it is even better. I feel that crossing over at 80hz is perfect for this speaker now. Being that my room will not allow for 170SE as surrounds, I feel as if now with the 200SE's I am not missing out much if anything that the 170SE's would offer.
    Dave, thanks for listening to your customers and giving us the 200SE

Now, I am looking forward to seeing the graphs and specs for this new speaker. Please tell me that you will post them soon......
    L/R - Sierra Towers
    Center - Sierra Horizon Tower
    Surrounds - 200SE
    SW - Dual PSA XV15's
    TV - Panasonic TC-P65VT60
    A/V Receiver - Denon AVR-4311CI
    Blu-ray/DVD - Sony BDP-S5100
    DVR STB - Motorola Arris X1