Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We really need a 200SE

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default We really need a 200SE

I'm really impressed with the response curve of the new 170SE. No peaks or dips.

But, now Ascend seems to have created a problem for those of us that need a center speaker. The 200 is the perfect size to fit in front of an HDTV. It's only 6.5 inches high.

A center speaker handles so much of both music or a soundtrack -- so one really would like the new tweeter in the center channel.

The marketing material says the 200 is "timber matched" but it's unclear what that REALLY means. It seems to me unless the tweeter is exactly the same -- the center will always sound different. And, if the new tweeter really sounds better -- then the 200 logically sounds worse.

I do see a pix of a 170SE tipped on it's side, but I'm not sure that is such a good idea. If it was -- then why have "center speakers" been developed.

We really need a 200SE which should be a trival enhancement.

Advice?

Agreed. After all the raving about the new tweeter, it seems kind of odd to say it wouldn't really help the 200. David said it would make the 200 cost more, but I think the main reason people get the 200 is not price, but it's small size... maybe I'm wrong?

Anyway, the current 200 is a great speaker, and I plan to get a couple more in the near future, SE or not. They will go along with a 340SE front stage, and I'm sure they will sound great.

The 200s sound so good as my main speakers right now, it seems almost a crime to relegate them to surround duty.

Quote Originally Posted by S_rangeBrew
    Agreed. After all the raving about the new tweeter, it seems kind of odd to say it wouldn't really help the 200. David said it would make the 200 cost more, but I think the main reason people get the 200 is not price, but it's small size... maybe I'm wrong?
    The price increase from the 170 to 170SE wasn't much -- was it?

Yes -- the 200 is important because of its small size!

I think I'll wait until the new tweeter is added to make a 200SE.

The current 200 can be used for the surrounds.

Hi guys,

Believe me.. I am reading this thread

Take care!
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com

Quote Originally Posted by davef
    Hi guys,

Take care!
    What a tease.

Hi guys,

Take care!
    Well then Dave, any word on the imagers yet?
    Feel Free to visit my website:
    The Bailey's Home Theatre in Our Living Room

Equipment List:
    Hitachi 57F59 HD CRT RPTV
    Outlaw 990/7125 PrePro/Amp
    Panasonic BD10 Blu-Ray Player
    Mains: Ascend CMT-340M
    Center: Ascend CMT-340C
    Surrounds: Ascend CBM-170
    Sub: SVS 25-31PC

Imagers?

Hi guys,

Take care!
    A pair of 200SE's would sure sound great as my rears in a 7.1 setup with 340SE's across the front and 170SE's at the sides

I just wanted to chime in and say like I've said elsewhere that I agree 100%. I'd love for the four HTM-200's I plan to buy for my 7.1 system to be "SE" models with the upgraded tweeter, and would gladly pay the difference. I'm not buying the HTMs because they're cheaper. I'm buying them for the form factor and because I need a sealed design for wall-mounting these in my space-limited room.

C'mon Dave! Let's see some HTM love!

Question for those who've upgraded their classic CBMs or CMTs (and first let me say serious, serious kudos to Dave for making this possible when considering the new design): how much of a pain was that in terms of shipping and cost to get them done? If there's a possibility for HTMs to get the SE treatment...should I be waiting, or should I jump in and hope for an upgrade later?

With a set of CMT-340 SEs planned across the front, I'm already jealous of not being able to install the CBM-170 SEs in side and rear duty with their exactly matching tweeters and their perfectly matching 6.5" aerogel drivers. I really, really want HTM-200 SEs that give me at least the tweeter...the important part for the frequency spectrum thrown at these.

D@mn my own fussy, nitpicking nature! But then, that's why I want Ascends (and why I like martinis, but that's not important right now).

Quote Originally Posted by d-v-c View Post
    We really need a 200SE which should be a trival enhancement. Advice?
    It has been a long time coming, took longer than even I expected... But HTM-200 SE is now here. Production is very limited at this point but we are shipping.

Same "SE" tweeter as CBM-170 SE and all new higher compliance "polygel" woofers with double the magnet strength. These new woofers took nearly a year to get just right, but they are fantastic. A full 20Hz drop in system Fo, resulting in deeper bass extension and MUCH better punch and dynamics. In fact, the impact and bass response is now very close to the "classic" CBM-170.

The important matter is the speaker is now closer in performance to our "SE" line and the Sierra.

I will post more on this soon, with some pictures. While the HTM-200 SE is costing us 22% more to manufacture, I am not raising the price at this time.

In my opinion, for a speaker of this size and versatility -- there is nothing in the market that can compete.
    Last edited by davef; 10-13-2007 at 11:40 AM.
    Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
    www.ascendacoustics.com