Quote Originally Posted by tcat View Post
I was hoping for the "deep/mellow" sound of the TV speakers (or my car speakers for that matter), and it's just not there.
I really don't think you are going to get that "sound" that you are after from any center speaker, at least from our products or Paradigm -- these products are designed for a neutral / accurate response. It sounds like you might prefer something with rolled-off highs (like TV speakers) and/or accentuated mid-bass. In addition, it is my understanding that you are also running Audigy through your Onkyo -- which, theoretically, makes the in-room response of the speakers even flatter, thus making it, perhaps, even less appealing to your tastes... You might try running without the Audigy EQ just for fun.

In addition, you really shouldn't compare your TV speakers (which are stereo)... to a 5.1 center which is monaural. While they might sound better to you (probably because they are playing the source in stereo and have rolled off highs) it is an incorrect interpretation of a modern 5.1 soundtrack (image specificity will be incorrect if you are anywhere but directly on-axis). The goal is accurate reproduction of the source material with high-quality 5.1 systems. This type of sound, simply stated, might not be something you prefer...