Thread: Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

Thumbs up Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior

If you're a fan of old school martial arts movies, you owe it to yourself to check this one out. Gossamer thin plot, acting so bad that at times it borders on parody, but man does that Tony Jaa deliver the goods! Think Jackie Chan (no stunt doubles, gravity defying moves) but subtract the goofy faces and slapstick and toss in the most original fight & chase sequences in recent memory.

I like MA, but not necessarily MA movies..."Ong Bak" was a notable exception, mainly thanks to Tony Jaa being an unbelievable mensch who puts the likes of Van Damme and Chuck Norris to shame.

Moreover, the % of realistic to fluffy MA techniques shown in this movie is incredibly high...around 80% by my estimation, authentic Muay Thai kickboxing moves not the Hollywood-Kwon-Do I usually giggle at during these types of movies.

Yep the acting and plot are thin indeed but it more than makes up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I like MA, but not necessarily MA movies
    Are you by any chance a fan of Mixed Martial Arts? The Pride and Bushido events have dominated my life for the last two years...

Moreover, the % of realistic to fluffy MA techniques shown in this movie is incredibly high...around 80% by my estimation
    Agreed, but it did leave me wondering whether the elbow could take that many strikes to the top of someone's skull

Quote Originally Posted by sensibull
    Are you by any chance a fan of Mixed Martial Arts? The Pride and Bushido events have dominated my life for the last two years...

Agreed, but it did leave me wondering whether the elbow could take that many strikes to the top of someone's skull
    Yep, if I were about 15 years younger I'd be training in MMA instead of watching it. These days I'm happy if I manage to run 20 miles a week, LOL.

The elbow to the top of the head move was the one that also raised my eyebrows the most, since that's the absolute hardest part of the skull.

a bit off topic...

My college roommate was a Bok Fu blackbelt and instructor. I went to one of tournaments...that was some nasty stuff.

My brother and sister-in-law practice Ju-jitsu. In fact, sister-in-law received her blackbelt recently and made it into some magazines....I believe she has also qualified for the Pan American games.

She is only 4'10" and the rest of the family jokes how we will all hide behind her if we ever get confronted by bad people.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by curtis
    She is only 4'10" and the rest of the family jokes how we will all hide behind her if we ever get confronted by bad people.
    That's the beauty of jiu-jitsu. Well adapted for real-world situations, handily mitigates size differences, and predominantly defensive. Kudos to her for earning a black-belt. That's a serious accomplishment.