Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about HK EQ...

Default Question about HK EQ...

Can you manually change the EQ settings on the 340 and the 435? I was looking through the product manuals and it appeared to me that you could only change the level, distance, and cross-over. Is that right?

No one has an HK receiver that can verify this?

I do not think you can manually change the EQ of the speakers with the HK's.
    -curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Ivory05G35
    No one has an HK receiver that can verify this?
    Sorry. I missed this post. You cannot really modify the HK's EQ results (except by adjusting mic and speaker positions and re-calibrating, which can deliver VASTLY different results), but there is a setting called "Tilt" that adjusts the hinge point of the high frequencies (rather than simple a tremble knob, which boosts a very narrow frequency range, Tilt effects the whole upper range of your curve). You can also boost or cut the sub channel ouput.

Does the HK do a good enough job of this? This is a feature that I really like, but I think I'd like to be able to adjust the results. For this reason I'm considering the pio 1015 and the 52tx...

Does the HK do a good enough job of this?
    The jury is out. FWIW, the HK has the most advanced EQ chip in this price class and handles lower frequency adjustments way better than competing models (which I don't think really handle LFE at all). Do a search on the AVS Forum for "HK" and "M Code" (the name of a poster) and you'll find a lot of info on this.

Personally, I've had mixed results. Curtis has explained it elsewhere that the HK isn't really trying to flatten your response. Rather it's trying to remove the effects of the room on your speaker's inherent response. Some love the results. I have to admit it definitely tightens up the front soundstage, and perhaps improves the clarity of dialogue, but I got a flatter bass result by not using the HK's EQ and manually dialing it in with my BFD instead.

Does the HK do a good enough job of this? This is a feature that I really like, but I think I'd like to be able to adjust the results. For this reason I'm considering the pio 1015 and the 52tx...
    I have a Pio 1014 and from my EQ results and reading about HK's EQ, the Pio 1015 and 52tx (same EQ as 1014) will be inferior to the HK's EQ. From my reading on this forum and other HT forums, I think most Ascend owners like to go without using receiver EQ's.

I read that most Ascend owners seem to prefer no EQ'ing. I'm currently debating whether my next HT purchase will be a receiver or some Ascends. Both will be done when I have the funds to do so. It's hard to pick which one for now though... and it doesn't stop there. I have it narrowed down to about 5 or 6 receivers if I go that route and if I go with speakers, I'll either get a pair of 340 mains, or a pair of 170's and a 340 center. Decisions decisions...

It's not really dependent on the speakers being used, it's dependent on your room.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveCallas
    It's not really dependent on the speakers being used, it's dependent on your room.
    I agree......however, my old JBL's need the EQ to sound better. My Ascends are mounted exactly the same in the same room, but don't sound as good with the EQ on. I think its part room and speakers.